What to expect from 4.10 gears.

• Sponsors (?)

with s/c setup's this is not an optimal gear for your car. if you take notes on who's running what gear with what setup you will see the trend that the best match is no more than 3.73 for a light mod/bolt on with s/c and even smaller gears for built blocks/heads/big boost.

just something about forced induction that doesnt get along with big gears. someone way way more intelligent than me may be able to explain the reason why that is, i just dont know what the tech reason is.

to recap basically.
forced induction = med - small gearing
n/a = as much gear as the car can handle

I've gone through plenty of gears in my car, with and without a supercharger and can tell you most of the differences in drivability and performance, but if your going all N/A, go with 4.10's, you'll notice the car pulls more as soon as you get on the throttle. I've you have a blower with 4.10's though, I'd suggest you stick with 3.55's if possible, but no more than 3.73's. As far as gas consumption goes, you don't really notice much of a difference in MPG. My car used to cruise at about 2150RPM going 70mph on the freeway with 3.73's, and the difference seems to go up a few hundred RPM's as you upgrade to 4.10 gears and up.

as far as the gear & s/c goes, it's how you mate it with your setup. you want as much gear in a car as possible for the setup if you're wanting to go fast in the 1/4mi. you want to be crossing the traps peaking in your power band. now depending on how the motor is setup & where it makes that is where you need to decide what gear to go with.

my car has a Novi 2000 & i have 4.10's. if i go to the track with my regular rims w/ dr's on it, i'm going to run out of gear. to cross the traps with my car where i want it i need a 28" tall tire (instead of 26" stock height). in short, it's all in the way YOU want the car setup & then go from there. :nice:

4.10's = 2600 to 2700 rpm at 70mph in 5th is the expected range with a tremec trans?
also for a daily driver on 17" street tires, is this still a decent setup, or is it overkill. I probably wont see the track much.
thanks,

I'm getting 4.10's in my mild 2000GT in about 1-2 weeks. I have 17" rims still (For sale). I doubt it will be overkill, that's why I bought them! I can let you know my results after the install if you like. I'll have a 2 hour trip home from the shop to "play"!

I had my 4.10s installed about 6 months ago, and I'm very happy with them. Even with an auto, I get consistent tire spin through second, and yes the car will run harder on the highway. Make sure you adjust your speedo appropriately, I still havent. :notnice:

The problem this thread is helping me realize is that I recently changed plans from staying lightly modded to adding a KB s/c 9psi kit within 6 months or so, and so now I have to pay to remove the 4.10s and replace with stock 3.27 or 3.55/3.73. Sucks.