What to replace AOD with?

adamc_101

Apr 18, 2001
Hey guys a need some advice. My daily driver is a '91LX with 120k on it and the AOD is starting to quit on me, slipping gears and what not. I dont know anything about transmissions, but I need to replace it. The engine is stock and I dont plan on pushing more than 300HP in the future. I really just want something reliable that will be able to handle up to 300HP. Should I get a C4 or one of those other built AODs? If so, from what company? :shrug: Keep in mind this IS a daily driver, but I value performance more than gas mileage.

Please help :D Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

custom89stang said:
i agree with the last post, a normal t-5 with 350 hp even w/ out being beat on all day should last as long as u want
Bullchit. T5's give out even with stock power without beating on them everyday. If its lasted that long then its merely luck or babying it, what fun is a 5.0 if you cant romp on it now and then. Both in stock form are ticking time bombs in the hands of enthusiasts.

As for upgrading the AOD. If you just want minimal things to upgrade check out this website and it'll give you some insight into the weak pionts that need to be addressed.
www.baumannengineering.com

If you just want to buy a ready made auto trans then you cant beat a lentech. They are very much respected for a quality product.
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

But the MAIN culprit of AOD early demise is the Overdrive band quitting. You can upgrade to a 2" band. Also a trans cooler is a must.

you could also get your hands on a known good aod and replace the basics, all which make the aod weak:

-a good stall torque converter
-trans cooler
-a solid input shaft
-a manual valve body (such as lentech)
-a good shift kit

slap all that onto a known good aod, and that should pep it up quite a bit, and make it stronger. If you want to go the cheaper route, just get a good aod, a GOOD torque converter, the one piece input shaft, the trans cooler (cheap from summit) and a shift kit (cheap) and that should hold for a while

I'd still vote for a switch to a t5 though, you'll pick up nearly a full second, it's a night and day difference. The t5s break, but they're not nearly as bad as an aod, and you can thrash them pretty good, they mainly have problems when run dry on fluid, bad clutch adjustments, and powershifting. (and of course too much power put through them)

nito88stang must be an idiot, u r purely wrong....i know 4 people now running lots of power w/ just a t-5....350rwhp stroked 347 w/ supercharger (6psi) and his is fine, and my friend i mentioned above w/ 300 rwhp, running low 12's and his t-5 is fine (that of course is on street tires)

dude, it's all how you drive them. Don't call someone an idiot, unless you know him personally are are just jabbin him for fun.

t5's won't hold up for **** to any serious power under SERIOUS driving. Come back 3-4 years from now and tell me how those t5's are working. Anything will work for a short amount of time. Buy a tremec, forget about it for years and years and years, use a t5, last maybe a season or two if you're lucky.

3 T5's in my lincoln in less than 8,000 miles
2 T5's in my mustang in less than 2,500 miles
says they suck......
The T5 is designed for a 4 or 6 cylinder, and was just barely upgraded to handle the torque of a 5.0 to last through the warranty period and thats about it. Why do you think GM stopped using T5's when they went to LT1's in the camaros and went to T56's.... not cause they're cheaper, its because they would all be broken already....

If you jam gears, powershift, or sidestep frequently at all, a T5 will never ever ever hold up to that even with stock power. Idiot. :p

The T-5 is fine as long as you don't bang gears at 5500 rpm all the time. But then again we drive mustangs and have them for a reason, to drive the hell out of them. I'm surprised mine is still intact, probly because it was rebuilt just before I bought my car. Go with a Tremec, a safe investment. If you break that then you're doing something wrong.

VG30DE---> The tranny killer, we won't mention how many AOD's you've gone through :D

thats wierd, everybody I know has a T-5 and has held up fine for everything.

I plan on driving it normally for the most part, Just when It's time to race I'm gona be jammin gears like no other, does a aftermarket shifter help its life any?

I got a friend who just destroys 3-4th gear all the time in races and his is holding up fine among a bunch of other ppl I know.

I was told my AOD is gona give up on me and I drive that thing hard as **** and Use O/D all the time, I've manually shifted the first 3 gears for over a year now using the 1-2-1

I think everybody here Does'nt know what these transmissions can hold up to