WHat wiring harnesses needed for OEM MAF conversion?

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I know about the aftermarket harnesses. I already have one fron IST.

HOWEVER, i want to convert my car using OEM wiring. I prefer it this way and if it costs more money in the long run, i don't care.

With that said, what harnesses do I need? I know i need the MAF harness under the hood out of an '89 (or cali '88), but anything else?

I'm also coordinating with replacing the O2 harness and trans tunnel harness from a original 5-spd so I can correctly convert my car to a 5-spd. There have been cases where using an A9L in a former AOD car fries a manual EEC through the O2 harness.

Basically, i want to find wiring harnesses so that my car would be wired exactly the same as a FACTORY MAF, 5-spd car from Ford would be.

So, what harnesses do I need? WHere does the underhood MAF harness unplug at? Does it run under the car or into the interior?

• Sponsors (?)

The Mass Air Harness doesnt unplug from the Main harness. Its built into the Main ECM harness. Runs through the Firewall straight to the 60 pin connector. If you buy the harness for a 89 Mass Air car, youll spend some money. For a new harness from rjminjectiontech, its a $550 price tag.

I don't mind doing a little digging. I can usually come across this stuff if i put my mind to it.

I just need to know what I need exactly. Do i'll have to go into the interior then huh? Fun times

Any visual way to identify it?

I know you said in my other thread a few weeks ago I can repin the harness at the EEC, but i kinda want to do it the factory OEM way. I'm just odd like that. I don't like to modify or change wiring unless I really need to.

But an O2 harness from a 1993 will plug into my 1988 harness correct? Or do i need to grab one from an 89? I know a lot of the wiring changed in 1990 (when airbags were integrated) but unsure if the 02 harness remained the same

Hey Man, Im with you on doing things the right way. Trust Me. A lot less things to worry about when you dont have splices every where.

As far as a visual on the O2 harness. Its all about the looped wire on the back of the 02 harness connector. Its usually light blue with a yellow tracer.....Or Purple with a yellow tracer. For a Manual setup, the Looped wire( whatever color) needs to connect Purple/ Yellow to the Light Blue/ Yellow on the ECM side of this connector. Sounds confusing, but simply put, you have the 02 connector side with a looped wire on it. Then you have the ECM harness connector that plugs into that. The looped wire connect the wires I listed above on the ECM side.

93 harness will plug in, but the arrangements of the PIN's can be different than the 88-90 02 harness. So if you can, get one from a 88-90 year setup.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)