whats a bad lifter sound like??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok last night i was out taking a joy ride hot rodding my car a bit. i was beating on it pretty good and then near the end of my drive i noticed at low rpm my car sort of sounded like it was missing. seemed like a vibration, but after say 2500 you couldnt notice it. it didnt seem to affect power too much. just sputters at low rpm

checked the plugs they are all firing.

there is a small noise coming somewhere from in the engine, its not an exhaust leak, have dealt with them and know what they sound like.

car drives fine it just has that bumpy feel at low rpm.

could it be a lifter. i was stupid and didnt replace them when i rebuilt my engine so it may be it. so they have around 150k on them lol

• Sponsors (?)

you catch alot of hell with that car dont you bow? first 16s and now this! lol yea, its a tick.. kind of a tuff thing to hear unless you've dealt with it alot

you catch alot of hell with that car dont you bow? first 16s and now this! lol yea, its a tick.. kind of a tuff thing to hear unless you've dealt with it alot

lol small stuff..... the car is night and day better from the old 16 second days. just the dumb old small stuff that comes back to haunt you.

and i am pretty sure it isnt an exhaust leak. just a small sound, its not a knock more of a ticking sound i guess.

whatever it is it started happening right after some hot rodding.

and another thing. my temp guage acts funny every once in a while. it likes to move around.
like for instance it will move up to the middle bar like 1 min after a cold start up. and sometimes it shows its running hotter and just likes to move around. i did replace the coolant temp sensor not too long ago... maybe it went bad again.