Engine Whats All Needed To Run Gt40 Heads On A Stock 302?

Exile

Apr 3, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I have a 91' 5.0 Mustang that is pretty much completely stock motor wise. I am looking at picking up a pair of GT40 heads that came off of a 96' 5.0 Explorer.

My question is would it be ok/worth putting these heads on my completely stock 302 motor? (with aftermarket intake, cam, ect to come later)
Are the GT40 heads a direct swap out for the stock heads? Or is there modifications that have to be done to run GT40 heads on a stock mustang 302?

• Sponsors (?)

direct swap to a point

need new
head bolts
head gaskets
intake gaskets
thermostat gasket
valve springs
valve seals
valve cover gaskets
exhaust manifold gaskets
spark plugs
tube of RTV

i have nitrle seals in mine... my GT40's were done by Rick 91GT and they are BAD ASS! my first pass i made has been my only clean once since i trashed the diff the 2nd time out with it. he can set you up with everything needed for the springs.

Derek, Viton Seals actually..lol

It really all depends what you want to do with the heads and how much money do you want to spend. The GT40 heads use 2 different height retainers since the valves are a different height (-0.102" different), actually these use a valve rotator and there is a kit out there to deal with that if you want to get rid of them. Otherwise you can swap out the 1 set of valves and make them all the same height as far as the lock location goes.

Here's a link to the one kit I was referring too... http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt40-drop-in-valve-spring-kit-hyd-roller/

Reactions: 1 user