What's the best oil filter to use on an 03?

• Sponsors (?)

rdefino said:
I did some searches, but can't find anyhting on this that gives good info. I'm at 5k and will be using Mobil 1 5w-30. So, what's a good filter to use?
Well if you are going to use Mobil 1 oil may I suggest you use the Mobil 1 Filters too! They use a synthetic filtering material and come highly rated. For the Cobra you'll need P/N M1-210. Be prepared for sticker shock, they cost about $10 each.

The stock Motorcraft filters are good too! Anything but Fram....

U.M.

Read this: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

raph130 said:
there are only 2 oil filters to exist in automotive stores right now that should be used and the rest ignored. thats mobil 1 and k&n.

dont trust any other filter that i could literaly dent in with my own bare hands. try it for yourself.

get a motorcraft, get a fram. squueze it. would u trust that?? try to squeeze a mobil 1 or k&n. impossible unless u hammer it to death. would you trust a oil filter as thin as a pepsi can??? not me.

If you please, why does having a stronger outside case make those two filters better or worth the extra money?

I've trusted Motorcraft (and similar) filters for years. I've had engines apart with 100k+ miles on them after using such - can't remember any issues. Seems to me that the most important things are the type of oil you use, and mainly, changing it often.

Personally, I'm going to continue to use those "thin as a pepsi can" filters, though I appreciate your input.

Not sure you should post such a question. It's like asking what color is the best one to paint your car. Opinions are running rampant here. Like Bob Cosby said, just change the oil often and use quality oil. I had a 93 LX with over 175,000 miles on the ticker, and all I used was Motorcraft filters. On my 97 Cobra, all I have been using is straight synthetic Royal Purple Oil and K&N filters. I haven't had a problem with them either.

raph130 said:
there are only 2 oil filters to exist in automotive stores right now that should be used and the rest ignored. thats mobil 1 and k&n.

dont trust any other filter that i could literaly dent in with my own bare hands. try it for yourself.

get a motorcraft, get a fram. squueze it. would u trust that?? try to squeeze a mobil 1 or k&n. impossible unless u hammer it to death. would you trust a oil filter as thin as a pepsi can??? not me.
:stick:

Bob Cosby said:
If you please, why does having a stronger outside case make those two filters better or worth the extra money?

I've trusted Motorcraft (and similar) filters for years. I've had engines apart with 100k+ miles on them after using such - can't remember any issues. Seems to me that the most important things are the type of oil you use, and mainly, changing it often.

Personally, I'm going to continue to use those "thin as a pepsi can" filters, though I appreciate your input.

whats the difference? i'll tell you. how about a oil filter busting apart at the seams. this happened on my friends car. it came apart on the highway and ruined the engine.

i would think with all the money we pour into our engines, that we would protect our investment with a excellent oil filter. not some pos with poor filtering, and a weak casing. you gotta be the cheapest person in the world if the most you'll spend on a oil filter is $3 lousy bucks. with more power, better protection is a MUST.

boldsword said:
whats the difference? i'll tell you. how about a oil filter busting apart at the seams. this happened on my friends car. it came apart on the highway and ruined the engine.
First I've ever heard of such a thing, but this is not possible with another brand of filter? Is that why you get these filters, cause you had a buddy who supposedly had a "lesser" filter split on him/her?

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. No offense.

i would think with all the money we pour into our engines, that we would protect our investment with a excellent oil filter. not some pos with poor filtering, and a weak casing.
Prove that its worth the money, and I'll invest in it. I buy Mobil 1 and now Royal Purple synthetic oil because, in my mind, it is has been proven to be worth the (substantial) increase in cost. I cannot say the same thing about these filters. If you believe in them, ok.

you gotta be the cheapest person in the world if the most you'll spend on a oil filter is $3 lousy bucks. with more power, better protection is a MUST.
Color me cheap then - I get them for $2.69, and Mobil 1 for $3.99 (Wal Mart).

raph130 said:
the reason is i dont need a pebble denting my oil filter and causing damage. and i dont like the fact that those oil filters are as thin as a pepsi can. i could get under a mustang and destroy his oil filter with my hands. when he goes to drive it something bad is gonna happen. thats what im talking about.
Hmmmm. Well, I guess I've just been lucky tempting fate. Somehow I've managed to go through several hundred thousand miles without ever having a "pebble" denting my oil filter and causing damage.

Guess I'm just tempting fate.

you can't compare all those oil filters to mobil 1 and k&n's sheer strength and filtering ability.
Can you show me an unbiased, third party test that proves that....

a) Those filters actually filter better, and
b) That this extra filtering capacity leads directly to longer engine life?

Thanks.

i get real pissed when i see in a mustang mag a 500hp motor or something with a ugly orange FRAM filter on it. thats just plain STUPID.
I don't use Fram, but I do use Motorcraft, which is apparently just as bad.

Tell you what, I plan to be making in excess of 500 RWHP in my new 04 Cobra next spring. We should meet up, you can see the filter and get pissed.

It will be a Kodak moment.