What's the best oil?

Holy crap!
Why is someone suggestion oil viscosity set by Ford at the OE level?
I can almost guarantee any new ford engine has way tighter bearing clearances than an after market, machined and built engine.

I agree listening to the machinist who worked the block, but even that should be heeded with a grain of salt.
You, individually should mock up the engine and measure each clearance and then have enough information to base a decision on what viscosity in regards to application, load and clearances. How hot the oil average is, is a huge factor.

I said builder, not machinist. I'm assuming someone is rebuilding the engine for him. If HE is rebuilding the engine himself, then yes, he should be basing his decision off the variables you pointed out.

• Sponsors (?)

WHY has no one mentioned the filter, this is just as much if not more important than the oil. Motorcraft are great, but the Mobil 1 oil filters are really top notch. , but so expensive.

Amsoil is probably the best of the best. Independent testing has shown this fact. I don't use Amsoil because for one it's so expensive, and for another you have to go through a dealer to get it and it kind of makes me think that Amsoil is the Mary Kay for men.

Even Amsoil will show Mobil 1 comming in at a close 2nd and many manufacturers will put right on the oil cap "Use Mobil 1 5w30" or will just say recomend. VW and BMW recomends Castrol. I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles. My truck gets Mobil 1 5w30 Extended Performance with the Mobil 1 oil filter, I change it ever 12K miles. I change the filter which results in replacing 1qt of oil ever 3-4K miles. It runs quiet, and the oil stays clean. The 5.0 has just gotten it's first taste of Mobil 1 since it's been in my possession. 10w40 high mileage Synthetic.

Royal Purple I have mixed feelings about. For a race motor that gets frequent changes, it's probably the best, but isn't any better than conventional for daily use. It breaks down fast. Nothing makes my air tools run smoother, I'll say that. I might start using this oil when I start racing my car, but I don't know when that will be.

WHY has no one mentioned the filter, this is just as much if not more important than the oil. Motorcraft are great, but the Mobil 1 oil filters are really top notch. , but so expensive.

+1

The motor craft filters are good filters. They are purolator pure one cartridges in a regular purolator case...for cheaper. No reason why you should run any other filter.

I do spring for the mobil 1 filter though. I drive my car maybe 500 miles per summer...so if I only have to do one oil change, why not make it a good one.

I run a purolator oil filter in my daily driver. I do an oil change every 8 weeks....so cant go mobil 1 in that all the time.

+1

The motor craft filters are good filters. They are purolator pure one cartridges in a regular purolator case...for cheaper. No reason why you should run any other filter.

I do spring for the mobil 1 filter though. I drive my car maybe 500 miles per summer...so if I only have to do one oil change, why not make it a good one.

I run a purolator oil filter in my daily driver. I do an oil change every 8 weeks....so cant go mobil 1 in that all the time.

I use the wix "racing" filters cause we have cases of them at the shop, free beats anything