Whats the difference between emissions and non-emissions AFR 165's?

LXSTASY

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Long Island, NY
I ordered AFR 165 58 cc heads. The only thing is that I didn't get the part number so I don't know if they are the emissions (#1402) or the non-emissions (#1399). If they are the non-emissions heads, will it have any effect on the computer or with driveablility? I plan on LT's, O/R x-pipe so emissions is not a concern.
Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not 100% but my buddy has the emission 165s and his have bigger cc [61 I think] chambers, don't know if the 58cc 165s come emission?

If you aren't going to have cats on, then wether or not it has the egr provisions wont make or break the deal IMO. :D

If its anything like the trickflow track heat head, that would probably mean you won't have a working EGR valve because the EGR port on the middle of the intake side of the head won't be there. You also won't have the smog pump ports in the back of the heads which isn't a big deal. You will need to run the block off gasket inside the lower intake gasket if your heads do not have egr port.

I would have liked to see you keep the egr valve. YOu might possibly get some part throttle pinging w/o the egr valve or you'd have to run less timing.

Oh well, I guess I should be jumping up and down celebrating seeing as you finally ordered them 2 years later :D

Whats the combo gonna be? You can always change your order for the emissions ones. Hopefuly you bought them froma stocking dealer and NOT a drop shipper?

I have the 1399 heads. I ran my E7's last year with the back holes plugged off as well as at the intake, no smog pump, no cats. Car ran fine, no check engine lights. My AFR's should be no different. And also, the only difference between the emission and non (other than no holes in the back or to intake) are the non-emissions are NOT available in pedestal mount and they ALL are drilled for 351w 1/2" head bolts. You can get them in either 58cc or 61 cc. The difference maker in combustion cc is the exhaust valve (thicker face).

Thanks guys.

Grn92LX said:
Whats the combo gonna be? You can always change your order for the emissions ones. Hopefuly you bought them froma stocking dealer and NOT a drop shipper?

Well i am unsure of the cam. I am going to call comp cams tomorrow to see what they say. I bought the heads from ADperformance.com which had 165's ordered so they are being drop shipped from AFR b/c they had ordered them and not recieved them yet. ADperforamnce was listed under AFR's website as a dealer so they can't be that bad. Paid $1299 shipped. Not bad. now I just gotta see when I get them.

What cam besides custom should I go with??

Just get a nice aggressive cam from Ed. You will be buying valve springs regardless. Don't think your putting in a comp XE cam on stock springs. Your not saving much by going with a shelf cam. get an aggressive custom. ADperformance is a good place. Thats where my builder bought my rotating assembly from.

I remember buying my TW heads almost 4 years ago for $935. Huge price difference :D

Grn92LX said:
Just get a nice aggressive cam from Ed. You will be buying valve springs regardless. Don't think your putting in a comp XE cam on stock springs. Your not saving much by going with a shelf cam. get an aggressive custom. ADperformance is a good place. Thats where my builder bought my rotating assembly from.

I remember buying my TW heads almost 4 years ago for $935. Huge price difference :D

Yea times have changed you old man, lol.

Well i was hoping to use the stock springs. they say they can handle .550" lift and i don't plan on revving over 6k....