What's up with these ignition switches? Poorly made parts

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
I'm talking about the 87 - 93 column switch.I'm sure most of you here have had one go bad...or 2.Yeah,the factory one goes bad because the switch casing starts coming apart.I get a new one and a year and a half later the new switch starts acting up.Started with me having to crank the car jumping the 2 solenoid terminals.Then it got to where the radio and gauges would act up as I turned it to the on position.Then finally I went to start it again and I heard a "snap" and some piece of metal falling inside the steering column.Now the switch just turns like a loose volume knob on a stereo and has no spring action or tension.I don't have to tear the column apart to know what just happened.Something broke inside the switch and the tension spring for "start" position somehow broke out of it's slide path.I think the casing came apart.

What the hell man.Can't they make these things any better than this?? I had an '89 GT before this one.Did factory recall myself then the replacement started shorting out 6 months later.

Doesn't some aftermarket company make a "premium" or "heavy duty" ignition switch? This is Bull!

• Sponsors (?)