Whats wrong with 3.90's?

• Sponsors (?)

Kilgore Trout said:

This may help heal the wound left by harshness.
band_aid.jpg

:)

I had 4.10's on my present car and backed down to 3.73's and haven't looked back as I believe they are perfect, of course I believe 3.90's would be "The Gear" for Modulars. Had 3.90s on my old '66 and loved them too, of course that was a pushrod 289 HP application and I thought that was a little much back then. The Motives should serve you well, as I had Richmonds in my old Stang for over ten years with no problems and people here rip Richmond gears.

4:10's rule.

There is probably nothing wrong with 3:90's, but 4:10's are better.
The 3:90's are so close to the 4:10's in RPM on the street, so you mine as well go with the 4:10's
I have 4:10's in my 02 GT for a year and half and love them. I wish I had gone with the 4:30's.
My RPM in Fifth gear at 70 mph is 2300, was originally 1800 with 3.27 gears.
My gas mileage has been about the same, that is if you can stay out of it.
I travel 25 miles to work one way, mostly highway and I have gotten 24.5 MPG with the 4:10's. I average anywhere from 22 to 24 on the highway.
City driving I get about 20 mpg.
So in my honest opinion, if you are thinking 3:90 gears, go with the 4:10 or 4:30 gears and don't look back.
You will love them, I do.

SpitfireMk24 said:
FINALLY! some one who likes 373s more than 410s!
I didn't really say that I liked them better as the 4.10's were really awesome. I just prefer cruising with the 3.73s on the highway than with the 4.10s and that's like 80% of my driving time. Buzzing around town however, I loved the 4.10s much better. It's really a matter of choice. For most of my driving though, the 3.73s seem to be a better match and I personally prefer them because of the highway miles I drive each day. Not to get off subject, I would have loved to gone w/3.90s but I had 4.10s and my nephew had 3.73s and we just swapped rear axles which was much quicker than installing gears in and out.

I've got 3.73's and i love them, however i have never had anything higher. I'd like to try some 4.10's out, because i do nothing but in town driving but i'm worried about my gas mileage :notnice:

If anyone wants to donate a set of 4.10's, then i'll be all for trying them out :D