Whats wrong with 4-Lugs??

Here's a good example.... check out the recent issue of Muscle Mustangs and take note of an article named "Oh, Deere". That guy , Matt Parker, is from my area. He has a mid 9's (1/4 mile) Mustang and still runs 4 lug without an issue. Never broke a wheel, never broke anything resulting from a 4 lug setup. I've seen him go through numerous engines, transmissions, etc. so there is no lack of power. Needless to say, there's nothing wrong with a 4 lug setup.

• Sponsors (?)

5 lug has alot more structure support. Its got a extra lug. Also if you do a five lug conv. you have the chance to upgrade to 31 spline axles. They will be able to handle all that torque. And also the looks and braking power will be better cause you get get big brakes. I got 13 cobras on front and i love them. THey look sweet through my rim and have very good stopping power.

you can get 31 spline axles in 4 lug

Just because someone has 4 lug, doesn't mean they have stock 4 lug studs either.
And on the same note, my friend who runs drag radial, broke a 4 lug cold hardened studs in a race, in a 9 second car (5 years ago), and trashed a $50,000 race car on the wall.

Nothing wrong with 4 lugs from a mechanical standpoint on a mildly modded car. You may want to rethink stock 4 lugs on anything that makes 350rwhp+.
Anyone remember 5literJoe (or one of his other dozen usernames, silver to black fade car), his car made 500rwhp and he used regular street tires and broke all the lugs off one side, on the street.

Just because someone has 4 lug, doesn't mean they have stock 4 lug studs either.
And on the same note, my friend who runs drag radial, broke a 4 lug cold hardened studs in a race, in a 9 second car (5 years ago), and trashed a $50,000 race car on the wall.

Nothing wrong with 4 lugs from a mechanical standpoint on a mildly modded car. You may want to rethink stock 4 lugs on anything that makes 350rwhp+.
Anyone remember 5literJoe (or one of his other dozen usernames, silver to black fade car), his car made 500rwhp and he used regular street tires and broke all the lugs off one side, on the street.

he also had wheel spacers on the back

Yes and wheel spacers will move the wheel out enough to put 100% of the cars weight on the studs... I wish there was a way to verify that had he had 5 lug wheels and axles it wouldnt have done what it did, but we will never know!

I ran the same spacers on my car for almost it's entire life. 1/2 the time with fms 5 lug axles, and the other half with moser 31 spline axles, with hardened studs.
I don't use the spacers anymore, but i can't say i would be afraid of them either, they put up with some hard driving.

The studs breaking from spacers may be one for the mythbusters to tackle.

4 lugs 800 ponies no problems.

going 5 lug they look better, more brake selection, and no matter what they are stronger. B/c 5 is better than 4 well except the SRT-4 OF COURSE

This all started with the SVO. It was/is an upgrade from standard. No doubt the 5 lugs are stronger as evidenced by the entire car industry and racers. Enter Steve Saleen, who crashed a car, due to a wheel breaking off from a 4 lug setup. So he started converting all of his cars to 5 lug. Ford Racing then upgraded the Cobra R with the 5 lug setup and began selling the M2300K upgrade package. Then a year later, they were standard on 94 Mustangs, even the 6 cylinder secretary cars! There was a guy who frequented this board who broke a wheel, running a 4 lug setup with a 400+ rwhp car, so don't say that they never break -- they do! This should be one of the first, if not the first upgrade to your foxbody, along with 4 wheel discs. Everybody tends to do their upgrades in exact reverse order, being: power 1st, then handling 2nd, then safety dead last, pun intended. Look at Ford trucks for a simple comparison, F150's have 6 lugs, then the super dutys have 8 and even 10 lugs, it is simple physics, more 'fasteners' means added strength. :nice:

ps. My upgrades went in this order; handling, then power, then the brake/wheel upgrade. So I'm guilty of the hp addiction, too, lol!

Besides a better variety of rims?? I was thinking about getting this conversion done but I have no problem with the 4-lug rims I have on there. As far as structure goes....is it better to have 5-lug?? I would rather spend my money elsewhere on the car.....conversion+new rims=more money for s/c or nitrous. What are your opinions? Plus 4 lug rims are really cheap.

Its stock thats whats wrong with it. Can I get a AMEN? :lol:

4lug1.jpg

4lug2.jpg

I like my 4 lugs too =]

Caution:

Be careful who you listen to on here. Some of those like 25th and S&B and TunedIn know what they're talking about...

Some just want a nicer/newere or ricer set of wheels on a near classic mustang or a set of disc brakes on the rear which is fine... But then there are some who say how many problems there are with 4 lug, how many wheel choices come with 5 lug, how much better it looks with 5 lug... Those are usually the guys who haven't been into it very long or are just misguided ;)
Just food for thought :)

5 lug has alot more structure support. Its got a extra lug. Also if you do a five lug conv. you have the chance to upgrade to 31 spline axles. They will be able to handle all that torque. And also the looks and braking power will be better cause you get get big brakes. I got 13 cobras on front and i love them. THey look sweet through my rim and have very good stopping power.

they make 31 spline 4-lug axles

Wifes 84' LX since high school bought new. 51x 8.5 Prime 5spokes..popular back in the day... first new set of wheels I ever bought.

Attachments

• IMG_0408-2.JPG
    IMG_0408-2.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: 1 user