what's wrong with my clutch?!?

mustanghunter50

May 30, 2006
easton pa
well i'm new to this site- so hello all! i put a reman 302 in my 87 vert the other week, and in the process installed a new king cobra clutch. i replaced the throwout bearing and did everything according to my chiltans manual. after about a week of driving, the clutch pedal has begun to make a popping sound, and upon further examination i found that the clutch quardrant is slipping when it should be grabbing the "pawl" the only thing is that i dont know if it is simply the plastic quadrant (that ford so intelligently designed to withstand all the pressure of the pedal) has worn out after 126k miles , or if my clutch is jammed.
if you have any insight as to my problem, please help me!
thanks andrew

• Sponsors (?)

Yours lasted pretty long. Time to swap out the stock pieces for a metal quadrant and FWA. See Jeremy Thompson's article for tips and pictures of the R/R.

Good luck.

mustanghunter50 said:
i ordered a new bbk clutch quadrant and cable, but whats an fwa?
FWIW, if your new cable is adjustable, you shouldnt need the FWA. FWA's are for using aftermarket quadrants and stock (non-adjustable) cables.

I originally assumed you were going to keep your stock cable (it is amongst the very best cables you can use), hence my suggestion on the FWA.

Good luck.

You posted that you saw the quadrant and Pawl mesh slipping. I would feel REAL comfy with the diagnosis you made - but if that somehow isnt it, think of your new parts as preventative maintenance because the stock quad/pawl would have crapped out.