When did Mustangs have t-tops?

saving

New Member
Aug 27, 2004
2
0
0
#1
Hey I saw a Mustang driving around yesterday with T-tops. I thought it looked really good with the tops off. I really like T-tops and did not know Mustangs came with T-tops ever. When did they have T-tops as an option and how common is it?

Do they have the same structural rigidity issues as convertibles? Are there any other issues with T-top Mustangs?

Thanks!
 
  • Sponsors (?)

Nov 25, 2003
2,330
0
0
Stafford,VA
www.geocities.com
#2
yes they did have issue only when you added power...and had more flew aroud corners...less than a vert but more than a gt kinda thing.......and i believe 86 was the last year.......dont know when they started.
 

Jkstang78

Founding Member
Oct 14, 2002
1,510
1
36
40
long island N.Y.
Visit site
#3
They stop making t-top mustangs in 1988 hatchs. But I do believe that they started making them in 1981. Hatchs & notchbacks. The Notchback ones are really hard to find. I have only seen 2 of them. Some kid I know owns it and the other is this pic. Most will take them and do the 87-93 upgrade body wise.
 

Attachments

Sep 11, 2004
140
0
16
Binghamton NY
#5
Late '80 to early '88 had them and yes they will twist and flex alot. They were also prone to leakage. Every one I ever had would always leak right where your butt would sit too.
 

seijirou

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
2,410
0
0
37
Herndon, VA
Visit site
#6
Jkstang78 said:
They stop making t-top mustangs in 1988 hatchs. But I do believe that they started making them in 1981. Hatchs & notchbacks. The Notchback ones are really hard to find. I have only seen 2 of them. Some kid I know owns it and the other is this pic. Most will take them and do the 87-93 upgrade body wise.
They stopped making notchbacks with T-tops in 83.
 

seijirou

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
2,410
0
0
37
Herndon, VA
Visit site
#8
gregpro50 said:
Not true. I had an '87 notch T-top.
Did you run the vin on it? I'm not calling you a liar but I couldn't be more positive the last t-top notch's were 83's. Like said above, alot of people convert the 4eyed cars to the aero nose.

If you don't know what to do with that Capri, you need to hook me up with it :D
 
Sep 11, 2004
140
0
16
Binghamton NY
#10
The notches with T-tops were carried throught the same years as the hatches although they were alot more rare. The '87 I had was a rusty white 4cyl car with a red interior. It was an '87 though.

The Capri is more work than I want to get into. It was an un-planned buy from Ebay.

View attachment 516146
 

8-7ttop

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
12
0
2
Houston, Tx
#11
mine is an 87 ttop but the last year wass 88 have no troubles with mine but it does leak a little bit but almost nothing
car013.jpg
 

Attachments

seijirou

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
2,410
0
0
37
Herndon, VA
Visit site
#12
gregpro50 said:
The notches with T-tops were carried throught the same years as the hatches although they were alot more rare. The '87 I had was a rusty white 4cyl car with a red interior. It was an '87 though.

The Capri is more work than I want to get into. It was an un-planned buy from Ebay.

View attachment 516142
Not more work than I'd want to get into :D

I'm a Capri nut.
 
Sep 11, 2004
140
0
16
Binghamton NY
#14
Oh it looks nice in the pics but it sat in a field for 8 yrs so it has rust. Only 103k orig miles though. I wanted the drivetrain for an indy pace car project coming up.
 

seijirou

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
2,410
0
0
37
Herndon, VA
Visit site
#15
gregpro50 said:
Oh it looks nice in the pics but it sat in a field for 8 yrs so it has rust. Only 103k orig miles though. I wanted the drivetrain for an indy pace car project coming up.
Then it needs lots of my attention!

Go ahead and pull the drivetrain, and I'll take away the rest for you :)
 

seijirou

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
2,410
0
0
37
Herndon, VA
Visit site
#17

Mustang5L5

Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt"
SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
28,687
5,609
224
Massachusetts
#20
seijirou said:
Did you run the vin on it? I'm not calling you a liar but I couldn't be more positive the last t-top notch's were 83's. Like said above, alot of people convert the 4eyed cars to the aero nose.
You are thinking about sunroofs.

You could get a sunroof in a 79-83 coupe, but 84-93 coupes didn't have that option.

T-tops could be had in every model from 82-88.

Check out post #3 if you want to see a picture of a T-toped 87+ coupe