When getting forged internals

• Sponsors (?)

Dog bite said:
Does everything need to be rebalanced?
Is that done once the new crank, piston, etc are in?

Or are the new pieces balanced and ready to go in?

Thanks

You don't need forged unless you're doing some really hard driving. Forged are noisier (cold start piston slap) and require larger machine tolerances (expand with heat unevenly). Forged are great for top end performance and racing however because they are stronger than any of the other types (cast, hyperutectic). If you're seriously considering forged you should also seriously consider the shop/builder who is doing your engine build. You'll want to do everything possible to make it a winner, balance included.

Jeff

It's for a SC

I'm planning on SCing.

Stock 99+ pistons are hyperutectic? What about cast? are there any cast pistons? are they stronger than stock ones?

Another question... H-beam and I-beam, is the difference only in weight, the I being a lot lighter and decreasing rotational mass?
The I is way more expensive though...

So if I understand correctly, if I get a forged kit all balanced and all, I can just put those in my block and be ready to go.

Thanks

Dude I totally thought that the internals in the 99+ mustangs were forged? I don’t know that’s what my uncle was telling me all the time. Hey said just throw on a SC and you will be set, wont I blow the bottom end after a while. But good luck with forging your internals?

Dog bite said:
Does everything need to be rebalanced?
Is that done once the new crank, piston, etc are in?

Or are the new pieces balanced and ready to go in?

Thanks

No they dont need to be balanced. Balancing will reduce friction though, free up horsepower, and the engine will last longer. There have been guys that have freed up as much as 30 horses with balancing. A good machine shoop shouldnt charge that much extra for balancing and most local machines shops should be able to do it.

99+ stangs are NOT forged.
You can tell your uncle he is wrong.

Cobras have forged crank and the rest I'm not sure but GTs, definately not forged anything.

You can put a SC on stock internals no problems, all depends on boost #s. Of course there are plenty of people with 10lbs and maybe 12 or more on stock internals but I don't want to go that route.

8lbs on stock or 12-14 or so on forged if I can manage the $$ to get a kit and have my engine torn down. But now the stroker/big bore kits are out...

Dog bite said:
99+ stangs are NOT forged.
You can tell your uncle he is wrong.

Cobras have forged crank and the rest I'm not sure but GTs, definately not forged anything.

You can put a SC on stock internals no problems, all depends on boost #s. Of course there are plenty of people with 10lbs and maybe 12 or more on stock internals but I don't want to go that route.

8lbs on stock or 12-14 or so on forged if I can manage the $$ to get a kit and have my engine torn down. But now the stroker/big bore kits are out...

On a forged motor you can run more than 12-14 as long as your using better hardware in the block (ARP).