When I turn my wheel, something creaks/squeeks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes there is a tsb.

No you don't have to change to poly bushings

It's the tube the bushings go on, they rub against the back of the K member and cause the squeek.

TSB
04-24-8 STEERING RACK NOISE

Publication Date: November 22, 2004

FORD: 2002-2004 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise while turning.

ACTION:
Replace the power steering gear tube bracket. Use only replacement parts that have a green paint dot. Torque the fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N-m).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
E5DZ-3K620-A Bracket

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

This thing drove me nuts trying to find out where the squeek was. Replaced the rack bushings and that helped a little while, but it came back. I lucked out one day and happened to be looking under the car when jacking it up and heard the squeeking and traced it to those damn tubes. I thought about trying to tack weld them to the K to keep them from moving, but since I will probably be getting an aftermarket K here soon I'm not worrying about it. I'll just soak it down with a little wd-40 to keep it from squeeking in the interim.

USMC03GT said:
This thing drove me nuts trying to find out where the squeek was. Replaced the rack bushings and that helped a little while, but it came back. I lucked out one day and happened to be looking under the car when jacking it up and heard the squeeking and traced it to those damn tubes. I thought about trying to tack weld them to the K to keep them from moving, but since I will probably be getting an aftermarket K here soon I'm not worrying about it. I'll just soak it down with a little wd-40 to keep it from squeeking in the interim.
What are these tubes you speak of?

Would this apply to a 98 GT by any chance? I have the same problem and have replaced everything except the rack bushings ... Nothing fixed it so far. Sometimes I think it sounds like the plastic boot thing on my shock hitting something. So annoying!!!

wms004 said:
What are these tubes you speak of?

They stick out of the front of the K member about 2 inches. The rack bushings slide over them and this is what holds the rack to the frame. They are pressed into the front of the K and bottom against the back side where they bind against the back of the K.

pavsfactorykmemeber5zn.jpg

Forgive the crudeness of the pic. I'm doing this with a laptop and mousepad.:D

Attachments

• pavsfactorykmemeber5zn.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 94
USMC03GT said:
They stick out of the front of the K member about 2 inches. The rack bushings slide over them and this is what holds the rack to the frame. They are pressed into the front of the K and bottom against the back side where they bind against the back of the K.

Forgive the crudeness of the pic. I'm doing this with a laptop and mousepad.:D
Thanks for taking the time to show a visual.. the noise is really annoying.. I've just been turning up the volume on my stereo so it doesn't make me angry:)

Attachments

• pavsfactorykmemeber5zn.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 90
If you look at the side of the K where the forward mount for the 'A' arm is, you can see the rest of the tube. It doesn't go through the back wall of the K, but gets pulled back into it by the bolt that runs through it. That is what I am thinking is rubbing causing the noise. It always goes away when I tighten/retorque the rack bolts but always comes back. I've just tried spraying some lube up into this area and I'll report back tomorrow on how it works.