When you early 20 year olds plan to buy ur first house?

Black95GTS said:
I have almost the same situation as you. 22, just finished school, just started my first engineering job. I have the entire finished basement of my house, which is similar to what you have upstairs, own door, etc. My parents don't ask for anything and understand how much college costs (I paid my own way, and being white at WPI screws you over while kids who aren't even american citizens go for free, thanks a pant-load liberal massachusetts racial quotas) but I still slip them 100 bucks a month for whatever and take them out to eat once and a while.

I think my plan is to move in with my long term gf next school year (Worcester), which depending if she does summer classes next summer, will be her last. Save up the down payment and start looking. But with my job, I am on call 24/7 in case an emergency happens, IE huge electrical storm knocks out power. I have to live within 20 minutes of Hudson, MA for response time.

So basically within 3-4 years I plan on making that purchase. In that time I'll hopefully be able to pay off 60-70 percent of my school loan AND the 2002 F150 I just bought (pics up soon, I drive it home Tuesday :nice:)

Just sucks that massachusetts is so damn expensive. My parents house was 60K when they bought it, it is now valued at 370K, and it is NOT a big house. Thats crazy though, a 600+ percent return in 19 years! I hope to god the bubble bursts soon.

- Adam

Few things the same here. Our house was bought at 112k, now its worth 500k and its on a small lot still.

Just wondering how do you like your engineering job? What company do you work for and if you don't mind pming me your starting pay or salary it would be appreciated. Also what type of engineer are you? I'm studying electromechanical. Going into my 2nd year at Wentworth.

• Sponsors (?)

VibrantRedGT said:
I bought my first house when I was 22. Now I'm on my third house. I've been buying homes, property and town houses for investment purposes for the last two years. Real Estate has gone nuts around the Country. Many kids will be living with their parents a lot longer then planned. Growing up everyone was out of the parents house by 18 ( I was 19). Now it will be like 30.

I turn 30 in November and I just bought my first house, haven't even closed on it yet. Actually should have bought one sooner but my ex-wife cleaned me out in the divorce and I'm still recovering.

house.jpg

house2.jpg

house3.jpg

house4.jpg

house5.jpg

house6.jpg

house7.jpg

It should be selling for about 125K plus here, prolly more. It's actually 3 baths, the third one is off the dining room, and was constructed for the husband who passed away. The only way to fit it was the toilet and shower stall in seperate little rooms, so they couldn't list it as a full bathroom legally. It's still in the same town I live in now, which I actually wanted to get out of, but it's a better area. Also it as a HUGE attic, which I plan on eventually finishing to make a fourth bedroom, which will incease the value of the house when I eventually sell it. Also the garage is the size of a 2 stall, but only has a 1 stall door.It's an older lady, shes lived there for about 50 years, and didn't think she could get much for the house. EVERYTHING is updated, new windows, wiring, siding, hot water heater, furnace, carpet, plumbing, and ALL appliances are staying behind , much of which is also new, and the kitchen was remodeled in the last few years. Also has a first floor AND a basement laundry. Has an enclosed heated/cooled breezway between the house and garage too.

$83,000
Bedrooms:3 Baths: 2 Full - 1 Half
This Colonial home features Slate roof, 1 car Attached Garage, Wall to Wall Carpet and Vinyl floors, Gas heating, Central Air cooling, 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, 1 partial bathroom, Gas Stove, Refrigerator, Screens, Security System.
Property Details
Living Room
- Main Level -
13x12
Dining Room
- Main Level -
13x9
Kitchen
- Main Level -
12x11
Bedrooms
Master Bedroom
- Upper Level -
14x12
Bedroom 2
- Upper Level -
14x12
Bedroom 3
- Upper Level -
12x11
Bathrooms
Full - 2
Half - 1
Amenities
Gas Stove
Refrigerator
Screens
Security System
Wall to Wall Carpet
WD
Heating
Gas
Cooling
Central Air
Utilities
Sewer - Public
Water - Public
Parking
Attached Garage
Spaces - 1
Roofing
Slate

Wow hillie thats quite the house for 83k! Good for you man! I wish houses were that cheap around here, id by a few hehe. Only thing you can buy in my area for under 300k is a shack. But wages are alot higher here then they are in other areas of the country, so i guess it evens out in the end.

im about to graduate college (1 1/2 year school) and i think im gonna ride the gravy train out. Back home i live in Northern Va, and my area the houses are around 500-1million dollars. I already told my parents "im staying here until you take away my free roof, food, and privacy". my parents are all about me staying there saving money. Ill be working at one of the Jaguar dealerships when i graduate then ill be going back to school in February to attend the *exclusive* Jaguar PACE Academy in Orlando, FL. I had to interview for 2 hours and go against a bunch of my peers to land this spot. It's going to take me far, and if i manage my money right, i figure ill have a 4 bed, 3 story, huge garage house by about 29. But hell, thats 10 years away, so like i said, im riding this gravy train out

My fiance and i look to buy in a couple years. In march we got a moble home for around 60,000. in a great neighborhood. Its 1,800 sq. ft. with wet bar and a hughe kitchen. But housing in california is nuts. In my area nothing is for sale for less than 400,000. We make great money but affording a home here will be a hard to do. We are looking into moving out of state. Plus then i can run long tubes without cats, it will be great.

Well, i'm 22, and just graduated with a bachelor's. I'm buying at the end of this year/beginning of next. You really might try buying at the beginning, just so you saved yourself those taxes. Also, since i'm done with college expenses, and working full time, I decided it was a good time to go get married to the lovely lady that has been waiting for so long. SO, gotta buy a house then, aint' no WAY i'm living with my parents THEN! Besides, Susan would kill me, ripping me limb from gigantic limb.
Lee