where is the oil going?

hxceli

Jul 17, 2009
I have a 2000 mustang v6, been a good car, had to put a new tranny in at 90000 mi, but other than that its held up, right now im at 130000 mi and problems are arising.

Problem #1:
the car started making terrible noises under the hood. opened it up, no oil on the dipstick, took 4 quarts to get back in the hash marks, ran fine, no noises. a friend told me that maybe it was a bad pcv. i replaced it, and checked the oil regularly, 2 months later same thing, 4 quarts low. Filled it up and started checking it every 2 days, seems to lose 1 quart every 2 weeks.

there is no smoke that is noticable, and it doesn't leave oil on the ground where it is parked, what could this be?

Problem #2:
the connection between the fill hose and the gas tank is cracked, napa says you can only get this at the dealer, i would like to avoid that. where can i find one??

any help would be nice,

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

#1 - That oil is going somewhere. My only guess is that if it is not spilling on the ground, it is leaking thru the valves and getting burned up. But you notice no smoke right? That is a pickle.

#2 - Check with the dealer and see how much it cost's. I am sure they will be pretty proud of the part though. If you can reach it, remove the cracked pipe. Then either go to an auto parts store other than Napa, like Autozone or Home Depot and look for a similar size and length pipe. You might have to cut one to size.

Sounds like he/she's talking about the round rubber grommet that the filler pipe goes through into the tank. The pipe would not crack. That seems highly unlikely and unheard of. The grommet cracking and leaking is VERY common. You should be able to get this part at Advanced Auto Parts. Thats where I bought mine.