Where Is This Power Steering Fluild Leaking From And Why??

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
Put all the fluids back in the car today, only thing that has become an issue is the power steering pump. Its leaking the fluid and dripping off from the back of the bracket but I cant figure out exactly where it is coming out from? The line that screws into the side of the pump is tight unless it needs to be really tight? Here is a photo from the back of the pump. You can see the line that connects to the bottom of the pump and the back of the bracket where there is fluid pooled up. It all looks black and the fluid is clear but its the slightly darker oval shape section on the back of the bracket.

791e7911.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Fixed it. It was the rubber O ring on the fitting (the larger O Ring on the fitting). I used the same fitting that was the OEM fitting b/c I could not get it off from the line. That O ring is 17 years old and was hard and stiff. I took the O Ring off from the fitting that came wit the new pump and replaced it on the old fitting. No more leaks. Filled the pump back up and cycled then steering until it was to the full cold mark.

Lesson learned. Lots of old seals and rubber O Rings in these cars, they dont last forever.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the power steering hoses for some reason come with a rubber o-ring, and they never work. The original is with a teflon O-ring, and the only place to get them is at the dealership. I have a few spares here I think. They were only a buck or a buck and a half a piece the last time I went to Ford to buy them.

Kurt

Im just glad it was an easy fix. I'm only a few days away from starting it back up again and this whole project started over an oil leak with the intake and I dont want it to end with another leak all together.