Where the hell is the oil going??

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
I just raced a 99 cobra (I beaT IT) BUT MY CAR WAS knoking when i got off the freeway, i checked the oil at home ( 3 miles away did i hurt anything?) and there is nothing on the dipstick, where could it be going if there is NO leak??:shrug: did i blow the motor?? it only has 2K.

• Sponsors (?)

your low oil light never came on?mine came on once when i had PCV problems and was sucking in lots of oil and it was 1qt low

check plugs to see if any are oily, check compression to see if its the rings

Check over the usual suspects: rear seal, valveseals, oil filter (make sure there's only one gasket), PCV, and the back of the lower intake. I would think you'd notice a pretty significant external leak, so I'd lean toward it going through the combustion chamber somehow, whether that be the PCV, rings, or valveseals. I also hope nothing got hurt with it being low. After topping it back off, did it still knock? Could have been some valvetrain noise from low oil. Change your oil and see if you notice any significant amounts of metal floating around in it. That'll be your best indicator of whether you did any damage without going into the engine to look. Might want to cut open the oil filter and see if you find anything in there, too.

are you running a stock type oil pan on the motor? lots of the aftermarket ones will not read well with the stock dipstick. My DSS pan one reads just barely the tip of the dipstick when I have 7 qts. If I'm even half a quart low the stick will be completely clean.

Are you sure you had oil then after 3 miles you didn't... To lose that much oil that quickly it surely would have been either coming out the tailpie at a rate you would notice OR leaking out of the car and onto the exhaust at a rate you would notice.

Check everything obvious then top it back off and run it in the driveway to see what is going on. something doesn't add up here...

Did you check the oil right after you shut it off? Mine shows almost a quart low when I do that, since there's still alot of oil that hasn't dripped-down. Its better to check it when the engine is cold, but yeah, sounds like its low. Check the throttle blade for signs of oil, to see if the PCV system is allowing it to be sucked-through.

ok an update, there is oil in the car...it read through the dipstick i called a buddy of mine and he said it might be a loose rocker, i hope that's what it is and not bent pushrods or bent valves, it seems to knock on top of the motor so hopefully a rod didnt get messed up, what do you guys think?? we are going to go through the valvetrain on wed. and i have not took the valve covers off yet, will loose rockers sound like a knock?? it seems to get louder whith acceleration. It did feel kinda low on power from when i had it dyno tuned, i hope thats all it is.

when they built the motor, didn't they make the bottom and pretty much bullet proof with forged stuff?

the bottom end should not be breaking so soon. if it is the bottom end, i'd take it back to the builder and ask them why it broke. something is not right here.