Where to buy a full 3G Alternator kit these days

5LiterWes

May 7, 2002
Milwaukee
So I found a guy on the Corral selling kits. By the time I got my money transferred to Paypal he had sold out all his stock and is getting out of the business. Anyone do the upgrade recently? Looking for an all in one kit from a reputable supplier.

• Sponsors (?)

PA Performance- You only buy quality once!- 877-471-8010

They have everything you need to make it happen. I believe LRS also carries their stuff. I will say that you can find alternators at parts stores (e.g. Auto Zone) MUCH cheaper, but as far as conversion parts go, you're better off buying a kit in my experience. Of course, I have an '86, and the wiring is way different, so the 3G conversion requires more effort.

It's dead simple to get the parts together that you need, alternator with connector, 4 gauge cable, 150 amp fuse...I bought the cable and fuse at a stereo shop, and the alt of the interweb.

Sorry, can't help with the kit though, did you google it and see what comes up?

Yeah I pieced mine together in about ten minutes once I had all the parts listed I needed. I suggest going to an alternator/battery shop for the kit pieces you need, thats where I got mine for a mere 20-30 bucks if I remember right.

I bought a 200A 3G alternator off Ebay about a year ago. It came with the fuse and wire. I bought the pig tail from the auto parts. It was real simple and WAY cheaper then PA and this was a brand new made in USA alternator. I believe the seller was "Romeo Electrical" or something, I do not see him on Ebay right now. He was also very willing to help thru email.

Bottom line is you can piece a kit together way cheaper then PA is selling their kit for.

Scott

Don't buy a kit, they are rippoff's, especially from PA.
Get yourself a used original 3g alternator (none of them are as reliable as original fords, not even ford remans), then do some internet searches, directions are around.
All you really need that may not come with the alt is the gray plug with the white wire.

I bet it can be done for less than $100 total.

I just went to Autozone and got a 95GT alt for $100 or so and some 4g wire and crimps. Been 10 years no issue

If you want to fuse it, size the fuse by the wire, not the alt. 4g is rated for 125A or so, so you want a 100 or 125a fuse

There really isn't much need for any more than 130A unless you are powering a small city in your car. Average street car will prob run in the 70-90A range of consumption

I'll say this- I did this upgrade to my car just this year, and I pieced together my own power cable. By the time I bought the 4 gauge wire, terminals, heat shrink, fuse/fuse holder and convoluted tube, I was out $40-$50, and that doesn't count the solder I used, time I spent searching for the right parts, and the gas from driving to several different stores.

I was definitely kicking myself for not buying one of those $45 power cable kits after all that.

DYI wiring...

Check the current prices since these are several years old...

For a 135 amp circuit breaker, see http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html price is $34.05

For a 120 amp circuit breaker see Del City - Wiring Products and Professional Electrical Supplies price is $29.45

Fuse holder from local NAPA dealer - Item#: BK 7821143 Price: $10.49
Product Features: Thermal Plastic Holder For AMG Type Fuse Rated From 100 To 300 amp

See Parts-Express.com sells Speakers, Replacement Speakers, Speaker Building Parts plus HDMI Cables, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio and Commercial Sound. We offer services for Speaker Reconing, Speaker Refoaming, Speaker Repair. Great selection of Elect for the fuse & fuse holder.
Fuse @ $3.90 each (need one) 150A Gold Plated Wafer Fuse

Fuse holder @ $5.80 each (need one). Wafer Fuse Holder

Check on the wire prices, they tend to change often. Copper is an expensive commodity these days.

4 gauge black wire @ about $1.95 a foot (use string to lay out routing & determine length). 4 AWG Black High Current Power Cable 1 ft.

4 gauge red wire @ about $1.95 a foot (use string to lay out routing & determine length). 4 AWG Red High Current Power Cable 1 ft.

4 gauge ring crimp terminals (package of 5) $3.25. 4 AWG Ring Terminal 3/8" Stud 5 Pcs.

3/4 “ Black heat shrink tubing, 4ft length, $3.56
3M 3/4" Black Heat Shrink Tubing 4 ft.

3/4 “ Red heat shrink tubing, 4ft length, $3.56
3M 3/4" Red Heat Shrink Tubing 4 ft.

Pre-fab 4 gauge cables with lugs already on the ends are available in most auto parts stores. Look for the starter switch to starter cables.

How to wire it all together, lots of diagrams to help you out...
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/646825-3g-alternator-install-how.html#post6673702

I just went to Autozone and got a 95GT alt for $100 or so and some 4g wire and crimps. Been 10 years no issue

If you want to fuse it, size the fuse by the wire, not the alt. 4g is rated for 125A or so, so you want a 100 or 125a fuse

There really isn't much need for any more than 130A unless you are powering a small city in your car. Average street car will prob run in the 70-90A range of consumption

Duralast/Alternator (DL7734-6-11) | 1995 Ford Mustang 8 Cylinders T 5.0L SFI HO | AutoZone.com is that the one your talking about its a duralast...im also looking for a 3g upgrade

Duralast/Alternator (DL7734-6-11) | 1995 Ford Mustang 8 Cylinders T 5.0L SFI HO | AutoZone.com is that the one your talking about its a duralast...im also looking for a 3g upgrade

Pretty sure that's it. Like i said, this was 10 years ago or around there. Had a lifetime warranty because the last time i was in, i saw it was still in their computer when they pulled up info on me. I forgot i even had that.

Could be another brand..i just don't remember. In a way that's a good thing because it is still alive and kicking

Pretty sure that's it. Like i said, this was 10 years ago or around there. Had a lifetime warranty because the last time i was in, i saw it was still in their computer when they pulled up info on me. I forgot i even had that.

Could be another brand..i just don't remember. In a way that's a good thing because it is still alive and kicking

Yep, lifetime warranty. No way am I dropping one fiddy on something that didn't!

Well, I ended up buying a wiring kit from that guy on the Corral. He's shutting down his business soon though unfortunately. I'm thinking of trying a junkyard 3G for about 50$. Probably from a 95 3.8 Mustang. Opinions on that idea?

There are several different cars that you can pull the correct alternator from, just be prepared to adjust the mounting ear clocking to bolt it into your car. Not a tough job really.

$50 bucks for a junk yard alternator is steeeeeep. I'm pretty sure I nabbed one for $15 at the Pick-A-Part. I decided it was too ugly and would probably crap out on me anyway, so I took it to an Auto Zone and used it as a core exchange for one of their lifetime warranty units like the one above. I believe the core charge is $35, so I came out $20 ahead on that one, haha.

No way in hell I would pay $50 for a junkyard alternator with unknown mileage and has probably sat out in the rain a few times because some jackass left the hood open after he yanked the blahblahblah for his car.

Guys,

I'm far from an electrical guru, but I run twin spal fans, the strongest streetable coil I could find, as well as a BS3 box, an MSD Digital 7+ (Pn# 7531), a laptop computer, and plan to install at least a decent system some day in my car. I have no idea what I really need, but never wanted to worry about running out of alternator again so I run a 200-amp kit from PA in my car, though I don't have a ton of mileage on it, its done great for me thus far.

I think there's some misinfo in the thread, and I contacted PA Performance out of curiosity. Talked to a knowledgeable guy there and shot him the link here. Hopefully, he decides to clear up some confusion.

Chris