Where to mount Trans. Cooler?

eats305sstock

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2001
I have a 66 mustang w/289 mildly built, my cooling system is a 4 row radiator, and a 16" electric fan. And there is the problem, because the electric fan is on the back of the radiator there is no space to mount the trans cooler there, and the front of the radiator is a no go because of the A/C condensor. Are there any other places? Any ways to route the lines between the radiator and the condensor that anyone knows of?

• Sponsors (?)

I just mounted mine onto the front valance. If your state does not require a plate on the front of your car you can cut out a rectangle just big enough to mount a small B&M cooler to it. I ran the lines under the radiator and in between the valance and the front frame crossmenber. I did not cut the lines, but instead bought fittings to adapt the female flare to a male flare to 1/4 NPT and a barb to steel braided #6 hose to Earl fittings into the cooler. Just to make it look stock I cut up an old grill and put it in front of the cooler so it matches the upper grill. It is helping so far even with the AC going. If I had a digital camera I would post it but that is on my future purchase plan. :nice:

Trans cooler

Eats;

You and I have the same problem. Prior to the resto (No AC), I ran the 8x11 B&M cooler in the front of the regulator, no radiator cooler (I just can't bring myself to get water and tranny fluid that close to each other); 4-core, 5 bld ss flexfan, March WP over-drive pulley, Milodon Alu WP, All was dandy!
Now I am just putting it all back together but will have new Vintage AC and do not have a clue where I'm gonna put the cooler/fan.

I have considered at an angle just aft of the rear axle, passenger side with a 7" fan/thermo keyed of trans -out temp. Judging from the temps I had in the trunk area, air flow must be decent, the fan spans traffic and adds margin.

I won't know for sure until I get the present radiator out, but on either side of the bottom of the radiator there are the aproximate 1 inch holes that were used to run the stock alternator wiring harness to the regulator. Does anyone know if I can gain access to the front of the radiator through these ports or if they are blocked off?