where to start?

Fibersport

Aug 7, 2011
Lansing, IL
I have a 67 convertible that I have had since 1979, it's been rusting away for the last 25 years and it might be time for me to start on it. Honestly I think the only thing holding it together is the paint! I've read Rusty's post on the 65 he's doing and have a new boost of incentive. My question is where would be the best place to start? I'm thinking of getting the floor section of the car done first, then rockers and finally add on the front and rear frame rails. I might consider the full lower frame that's out as well, still haven't decided on that one. Any direction would be appreciated. To most, this car should be in the scrap yard but it has great sentimental value to me so I'm letting emotion direct this one.

Also, any suggestions on the best parts and where to get them? I'm not looking for OEM stuff, just something that will be good to work with.

Thanks -
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

After reading your post on the 65 (the pictures tell so much and are so helpful) I had already decided that was the best way to go, however not sure if there is much to weld to! I figure it would be best to include some alignment pins on the rack just so I can be sure to get everything right. Now all I need is another garage ......

To start set a budget then review all the parts then trow it away,keep the parts list emotions will get going while working on the car and the budget goes out the window, start by taking out interior, fenders off hood, don,t remove doors untill you weld in braces to keep body alignment and door gaps this will help when you replace inner rockers and t boxes if needed. Try to find a donor car for some parts, rails and t boxes should be new mustang unlimited, CJ Pony,

Might be a good time for you to take a road trip to PA and visit the shop at CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg or the Mustang Barn in Souderton.

This ∆

Seriously, if the rust is so bad that you cant find a good weld point for a cart you may want to start with a proper fixture jig and build (Or buy) a new lower chassis for a foundation.

I hate to be the lone voice of dissension, but you should really, really be asking yourself how bad you want to save this particular car. You could wind up spending more than you ever thought possible on this thing, only to have rust reappear in a year or so. In my opinion, Mustangs of pretty much any kind or body style are far too common to waste time and money on a rusty one. You might think you can only feel this particular car is "special" or has sentimental value, but if you end up replacing 95% of it, then where are those fond memories are being directed? To the pile of rusty cast-off sheetmetal in the dumpster? You might spend enough to buy three very similar Mustangs for the price of saving yours, so unless that car is REALLY something special and you can't imagine life without if, I'd think long and hard about this before I wore out my Visa car on it. Don't say I didn't warn you...

I'll start with the easier part, it was parked for 25 years because at that time it was already starting to get bad and it was basically worth nothing. I bought a boat, restored that, got married, got involved in my career, bought a house had kids and was forced to move it due to my grandmother passing away. Funny how 25 years just slips by.

As for the sentimental value of the car, my dad passed away last fall and this was our project car when I was in high school. The time spent working on it is worth more to me than what I will be putting into it. I also want to make it a multi-generational project and work on it with my son. I hear what you're all saying about the cost and you are 100% correct, however there are some things that money just can't buy, even if it is only 5% of the original.