Suspension Which Isolators?

DrScientist

Apr 19, 2011
I'm getting some new springs but they don't come with new isolators for my 94. The stock ones are probly getting wore by now so I thought I'd get some new ones. There are some seem pretty expensive, others are dirt cheap. Does it even matter? Are there good ones and bad ones like with many other parts?

• Sponsors (?)

I usually don't put the isolators back in. I can never tell the difference in ride quality or noise. Just wrap the spring ends with electric tape.

Kurt

Do you hold the doors closed with duct tape too? :D

Hell no.....zip ties. :D

If you read the instructions for the Steeda springs it specifically mentions that the isolators are optional. It just makes the car a hair lower, and in the case of the front springs, easier to install.

Kurt

Doesn't makes sense because if you are going to take the time to do that, why not just put the sleeves on? I guess if you don't have them and don't want to spend the money or time to buy some then putting your car together with electrical tape sounds like a winner LOL

Seems like ford wouldn't have wasted all the money they spent over the years putting isolators in their cars unless it was necessary. Won't the spring make some kind of popping noise or something? Seems like that little bit of rubber might actually do something, such as adding a little stiffness or springiness or something...

Doesn't makes sense because if you are going to take the time to do that, why not just put the sleeves on? I guess if you don't have them and don't want to spend the money or time to buy some then putting your car together with electrical tape sounds like a winner LOL

Wrapping electrical tape around the bottom is common if you dont want the added height of an isolator.

Seems like ford wouldn't have wasted all the money they spent over the years putting isolators in their cars unless it was necessary. Won't the spring make some kind of popping noise or something? Seems like that little bit of rubber might actually do something, such as adding a little stiffness or springiness or something...

Yes ford did everything 100% correct with every car they ever made.

Why are you even on here asking about modifications to your car then? :shrug:

Wrapping electrical tape around the bottom is common if you dont want the added height of an isolator.

First I've ever heard of it in the almost 25 years I've been modding mustangs...lol How thick do you have to wrap the electrical tape so it doesn't wear through or get squeezed out after a couple months of driving?

When Ford builds cars they do it to satisfy the majority of customers and to last many, many years and miles. Yes you will get some extra noise and like said previously, some paint wear spots that will eventually rust without them. Modifying is a give and take game. If you want the bit of extra performance and stance then you gotta put up with some noise and wear. If not then leave the iso's in. They don't add any stiffness or springiness, just helps with noise and metal to metal wear

Read the OP, I wasn't asking about a mod. I was asking which isolators. If you can't answer the questions, then why bother coming in here an replying? :shrug:
I was simply agreeing with the fact of using tape on spring ends to prevent them from scratching up a LCA and body leading to rust.

your theory of "Ford did it, there must be a reason" was just contradictory to your other current threads.

You have several other threads indicating that your modifying a car...
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/836785-best-set-aftermarket-street-heads-94-a.html
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/836815-six-speed-swap-5-speed.html
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/836436-how-much-power-do-you-think-i-could-make.html

Just stating the obvious.

First I've ever heard of it in the almost 25 years I've been modding mustangs...lol How thick do you have to wrap the electrical tape so it doesn't wear through or get squeezed out after a couple months of driving?

Ive never done it on my own car. Im still using my stock isolators with no issues. But ive seen it / removed springs with it and they seemed to be holding up fine with out issues (seemed to be wrapped a good 4-5 times. The cars in questions were not loud or clunky. ( however in the few coilover cars ive been in ive noticed alot of noise, with the exception of the actual threaded struts not the sleeves)

The way that they did it, and why they did it are two totally different discussions. Will I replace the restrictive factory headers with better ones because I don't like the way ford went about it? Yes. Should I remove (and not replace) parts that they put in place for a reason? Thats different.

But anyway, back on topic. It would seem that it doesn't really matter which isoloators, as long as they are made of sufficiently hard enough rubber, so as to be up to the task. I've seen instructions on certain bushings before, telling you to grease them up before installing them, or they'll squeak. The isolator is essentially a bushing, so I was wondering if there were any... considerations that one needed to take into account when replacing them.