Which muffler should I get?

TheShadyCub

Jan 12, 2009
I just got a 96 Mustang V6 and I'm looking to replace the stock muffler as cheaply as I can. In a tutorial I read, the guy used a Force muffler from summitracing that was $40. I checked their site and they must not carry that one any more because they cheapest one they have for that specific model is a flowmaster for $120. What's a decent muffler that I can get for around $50 and whats a good website to buy from?

Edit...
would something like this be any good? or would the difference between it and a stock muffler be small?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Forc...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

• Sponsors (?)

That one on ebay would be alright. You can usually find fake flowmasters that sound just as good also. I would not suggest just replacing the one muffler. If you are going to do that, just wait and save some money and dual it out. You should be able to get two mufflers for $80, look for some tips that might run you anywhere from 20 to 30 dollars a tip and look for a "mom and pop" hole in the wall muffler shop to install for around $75. But if you are strapped for money you can just go the way you wanted, it will sound alright...maybe.

Agree with Chingon.No matter what muffler you replace with the stock one,it will only sound "allright".Talk to the man who's owned his 96 V6 for 9 years (waves)...I've been through 5 different mufflers.2 of those cheap turbo mufflers you get at Advanced Auto,a Dynomax one that cost $20 more,a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series,and a Cherry Bomb glasspack (current).I've also had no muffler at all and even took the extention pipe off.All in all,as long as you're using the stock Y pipe and the stock tailpipe,it will ALWAYS sound quiet.I'm currently driving with a glasspack without the tailpipe on.It's quite loud but most of that is due to interior resonance and the fact that my Cats have blown out.It still sort of has a straight 6 type sound.You'll never get rid of that funky sound unless you go with true duals.

See the thread about "Exhaust for Girlfriends car" in the talk section.