Which Tranny is better with 373 gears?

Better Trans with 373 gears

• C4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AOD

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im just thinking what tranny is best for me, selection 1 is a C4 trans. The drag strip is 150km away and i am worried about the rpms down the highway. Selection 2 an AOD it has overdrive, but its heavy and will slow me down at the strip. But will save me on gas (i think).

please help me here :D

• Sponsors (?)

stangracer79 said:
what if i had 3.55s? would i have to go to taller gears to drive daily?

Depends where you are driving and how far. My old '65 with 3.50's and a C-4 would spin ABOUT 3,000 rpm on the freeway doing a bit over 70. The noise gets old after about 50 miles, but it doesn't bother everyone. If your daily commute consists of speeds under 70 and a shorter trip, it might not bother you. The 5.0 engine has no problem with turning 3,000-3,500 rpm for sustained trips, but obviously gas mileage will suffer and you can expect the engine to wear out a bit sooner.

wide ratio

Don't know if you've considered it, but I had 3:55's and a wide ratio AOD. It was a blast to drive and the gearing was close to that of a t-5. I drove it everday and loved it.

By wide ratio AOD...I assume you mean you installed the AODE gear set, which has beefier first and second gears, but 3rd and 4th are the same? That kit is a little pricey but the gear spread, from what I've read, is really good. I think they bumped 1st from a 2.4 up to a 2.8 ratio, and 2nd from a 1.4 to a 1.8, or something roughly in that neighborhood.

That's not a bad suggestion.... You'd keep the Overdrive, but get beefier first and second gears to offset the extra weight of the AOD.

My friend has a 92 convert, and it rolls with 3.73's and a C4. And all I have to say is no way. We went to another town one night, which was usually a 45 min drive, and cuz he was buzzing about 3200 at 55, we had to slow down. And I had to keep it out of 6th, Cuz I was turnuing too LOW of an rpm. I say, build a killer AOD, drop in the 3.73's and be done with it. I like overdrives anyway, I have 2.

The wide ratio kit is a little pricey, but if you have to buy a tranny anyway, Check out a Early '90 Lincoln mk viii in the junkyard. These cars came with the wide ratio stock. And if you can jump up to the aod-e, it's even better. I had an -e controlled by a Baumann custom computer. I was able to change via laptop shiftpoints, how hard it shifted, and also the lockup function. Also, the -e does away with the tv cable linkage issue.

Xwelder said:
The wide ratio kit is a little pricey, but if you have to buy a tranny anyway, Check out a Early '90 Lincoln mk viii in the junkyard. These cars came with the wide ratio stock. And if you can jump up to the aod-e, it's even better. I had an -e controlled by a Baumann custom computer. I was able to change via laptop shiftpoints, how hard it shifted, and also the lockup function. Also, the -e does away with the tv cable linkage issue.
Thx man, I I think ill go for a AOD and later build it up.

FWIW check out this link.

www.lentechautomatics.com

I am planning to go with this same builder to replace my aging AOD this summer (Don't you hate those who tell you to try something they haven't?). The price may be a little high, but the performance should be as well. Check out what they do to the valve body :nice:

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!