Who here daily drives with 4.56's

need a fast car

Jan 1, 2003
how do you guys like it? any complaints? for those of you that want to say "I would never go higher then 3.73's on the street" or "thats to much gear" stay out. For this has nothig to do with you. Lets see it.

• Sponsors (?)

well i have 373 gears with a 4cyl 5 spd and its geared about like 456 gears and 60 mph is about as fast as i would want to drive for long distance ! it depends on you tranny also my buddy has a tremec 3550 with 4:56 gears and his doesn't feel to bad, it aint as low as mine. if i had a v8 5spd i would go 4:30's. i had a 88 lx coupe stock motor that had a carb and intake with 4cyl 5spd and 4:10 gears and it went 13:50 @104.00 spinning so don't fear the gear......

3.90's,347,aod, if you have a decent commute then 4.10 should be a practical limit, your asking an open ended question; somebody can go and put a set of 5.00's in the rear and drive it around the block once a month and tell you its a great gear, but you know he's a bald faced liar, going with a super low gear with a stock tire height will require you wasting a lot of time on shifts in the quarter,if your using a larger than stock tire size then you just negated the benefit of a lower gear, so those clowns that tell you that 3.73 is a good all round gear for street driving (with stock tire height involved) arent that far off base, i know you didnt want to hear it

I don't daily drive my car (It has nothing to do with the gears) but I have 4.30's and its just GREAT! The highway (which my car goes on a lot) is fine. Just gear your car for the powerband. I had 3.73's and they were HORRIBLE with my combo, I swapped to 4.30's and its MUCH better.

My bro inlaw has 4.56's in his dodge pick-up(its a 47 dodge pickup with a 440 big block and nitrous) he daily drives it and it only has a 3 speed auto in it no overdrive. He loves it. We have taken it on longer trips but we didn't go above 90 km/hr for very long mostly just cruised. It is fine for around town but very annoying for trips. Now for you and your overdriven mustang it wouldn't be as bad but in town you would be shifting a lot and for trips you would be turning so serious rpm at highway speeds. Not the gear i would choose but if you are not on the highway a bunch or have many spotlights in your town i'm sure it would work. Another problem is getting the speedo to be acurate. Only way to do it is to tear into tranny and replace the gear in it so that you can get a speedo gear to be calibrated to 4.56's.

with a stock or mildly modified i wouls say 4.10s is the limit!

i have 3.90s and i hit the traps at over 5k in 4th. with 410s it would be a tad higher. with 4.56s you would run out of gear and have to shift to 5th, and I DO NOT RECOMMEND shifting into 5th racing.

but if you have a built engine that will take the revs. and its a track only car. then sure get as much gear as you can and make it to where you cross the traps and run out all your gears.

4.56s in a DD would be a waste. would be a hassle to drive and just wouldnt be fun.

i used to dd stang and i have 3.90 and its a TAD too much gear for me.

Some people need to realize gearing isnt just for fun, combos rely on gear. Your car might run out of steam at 5000 RPM, but I know of street driven 306s that will rev to 7500+. Thats 2500 more RPM to play with and on a 28" tall tire, you could be well over 120 mph traps and not be looking for 5th gear. We have 4.30s in our stock cammed 91, and with a 27" tire we run 112+ mph in the 1/4 and have more RPM left to work with.

I say jump on to a calculator and see what kind of RPM it says you will be turning. I say anything under 3000 RPM at a decent cruise speed is fine for the highway. I know you asked for the naysayers to stay out, but that never happens, so take what they say with a grain of salt. Most of them havent had a high revving 4.56 needing street car, so its all just speculation!

He wants only replies from people who use 4.56's in a Daily Driver, lol.
Good luck.
Notice nobody here that has replied has them. There is a reason for that.

Good point 2000xp8.

If you plan on hitting the interstate, stay away from 4.30's or 4.56's. There is a difference between highway and interstate...and runs to the grocery store and runs to "the big city".

As far as gearing your car for you combo....when you put in gears...3.73's or up...they will be just fine with just about any combo that is actually daily driven.

4.30's or more is ridiculous on a real street car, aka...daily driver. I have drove one...find in town, but annoying once you get past 60mph.

iwashmycar said:
ya...60 mph is above 2500 rpm. i think more like 2650, but the chart im lookin at only goes to 4.30

No sir. 2,650 rpm would be in the 70mph range. I would know, I have 4.30's and a 5sp.

My 4.30's don't annoy me at all whether on long highway trips or around town :)

I have had both 4.10s and 4.56 gears in the 82, and daily drove them both. Although, the farthest I went was like 8 miles to work a half dozen times with the 4.56's. I drive the 4.10's now in it 10-15 miles a couple times every other week or so.

C4, no od. did not need to drive over 55 at any point.

Really not too bad, the exhaust drones less with the 4.56 gears. I never worried about it, but it did not seem to be a problem. Actually it was easier to drive through places with 20 mph speed limits with the, 3 gears to choose from.

Would be fine with an od trans.

Grn92LX said:
No sir. 2,650 rpm would be in the 70mph range. I would know, I have 4.30's and a 5sp.

My 4.30's don't annoy me at all whether on long highway trips or around town :)

Your tranny is different. Your tires are different than most.

You have another car...you take that green car on long trips, very very seldom.

Your going around town...and again, you have another car.

When you have another vehicle, little nuiances get less irritating. Your a good case in point.

My 3.73's put me at 2,400 rpm like in my other friends cars. Sorry, but 4.30's will do more than 2650.

Quit exxagerating and start laying down the average. Not special scenarios.

Please all you with opinions please go away. I understand that most people don't run this gear on the street. So please don't explain this to me, I'm past that. this is turning into another "oh well I would never go over 4.10s on the street blah blah blah". That is NOT what I asked. if you have had first hand experience please reply, if not **** off. Thanks alot.