Why doesn't everyone run a short belt?

• Sponsors (?)

I gained nothing bypassing the smof other than losing about 7lbs off the nose of the car. The real power gain with a shortbelt is to bypass the PS pump, but you don't want to drive around with it like this on the street as it can lead to pump failure and you'll end up with PS fluid all over your enginebay the first time you turn the steering wheel too far. Its OK at the drag strip because you are going straight and not turning much. I run with a shorter belt bypassing the smog all the time for a number of years now.

Bypassing the smog pump also cleans up the engine bay and in my case, gets rid of the grinding noise that the smog pump was producing. I went with a delete bracket in order to retain my stock belt length, but a short belt does the same thing, just beware of the belt stretching over time and maxing out your tensioner, resulting in belt slip.

the smog pump has very little resistance so deleting it should result in no noticeable hp or tq gains.

also, without the air pumped in by the smog pump, the cats can get messed up (someone correct me if i am wrong). so if you still have cats, you should probably keep the smog pump.

if you have an off-road h-pipe with no cats, then the smog pump isn't doing anyway so no need to keep it then.

Using a short belt to bypass both the smog pump and the A/C compressor should net you a few hp on the street...

I'm hoping to free up a few hp this spring when I install some March underdrive pulleys and shortbelt the AC (and smog).

i have underdrives and a shortbelt, i just eliminate the smog when im not running cats because it sounds bad, it knocks, and stuff. I belive that the reason my car makes over 300rwhp is because of the shortbelt/underdrive pullys, they damn near add 100rwhp over stock.

GreenMustangGt said:
i have underdrives and a shortbelt, i just eliminate the smog when im not running cats because it sounds bad, it knocks, and stuff. I belive that the reason my car makes over 300rwhp is because of the shortbelt/underdrive pullys, they damn near add 100rwhp over stock.

LOL! Yeah, but it still sounds like its hooked up though with that whistling air sound that comes from your car.:lol:

BlackVert said:
the smog pump has very little resistance so deleting it should result in no noticeable hp or tq gains.

also, without the air pumped in by the smog pump, the cats can get messed up (someone correct me if i am wrong). so if you still have cats, you should probably keep the smog pump.

if you have an off-road h-pipe with no cats, then the smog pump isn't doing anyway so no need to keep it then.

The smog pump injects air to help the emissions process, turning CO, HC, et cetera into CO2 and H2O. I don't think cats need a smog pump, as they had cats a long time before the smog pump.
Scott