why the hatred for imports? discuss...

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
now i know this is probably going to get flamed. but ive seen alot of threads bashing imports. i.e the thread a few days ago when someone asked about s2000's. anyway im not saying im going to sell my mustang for one but why all the trash talking? alot of the people i hang out with drive tastefully built and fast imports. ( civics, 240's, wrx's, evos, m3's, integras) dont get me wrong i hate the riced out/giant muffler cars as much as the next guy thats not what im debating. guess im more curious as to the blanket policy some people have that if you own a mustang you cant own a fast import too.:shrug: i dunno if this counts as a rant or not and im probably gonna get flamed but meh. its just a thought. lol anyway. just curious to see what people thought. :flag:

Joel

• Sponsors (?)

haha well i know for me i'll always love my mustang, there isnt a car that can replace it in my mind. its the car ive been building since highschool. but i still plan on building other cars besides it. i dunno i just felt like sturing the pot alittle i guess lol

If you own a mustang you must be loyal to it...most people are.

we hate ricers because they think stickers will give then horsepower and NAWZZZ will make them as fast as paul walker. Not to mention the loud, big bee by your ear sound coming from their tailpipes.:bang:

ricers pffft:nonono:

Apparently for some, simply liking what you like and leaving it at that isn't enough. I love the Fox bod 5.0 like no other car. It is the only type of car I've owned since I was 19 (which was 18 years ago BTW). For me it's not a matter of loyalty but simply how much I enjoy these cars. I can still get into the STi, Evo, G35 Coupe, etc. I think they are cool cars even though I have [no desire to own one. Even if its some pos, stickered-up 18 second Honda. WGAF? That's their business not mine's. Frankly, I'm not much of a fan of most Mustangs. If it's not a Fox 5.0 or 03 Cobra I probably have very little interest in it. lol

Its not even that people hate all imports in general... More like certain makes and models. Mainly stuff like eclipses, civics, and other imports that arent origionally designed to impress you with their engines and sound. There is not too much bashing on say bmws or extremely well engineered cars like those. Most people just dont like the mufflers and exagerations of sound and speed. You really cant brag too much about anything that doesnt have a v-8 or higher in it because your only just putting alot more strain on an engine that cannot necessarily take it, Unless of course your car is tiny and doesnt need that kind of power.

Mustang= power and speed
import= gas mileage and fuel economy

at least thats how I've felt and what I've seen around here

I don't hate imports (I don't like them either), I hate the dumb ****ers that pull up next to me in a riced out import (or hell, a riced out FORD for that matter) and try and get me to race then, when I take off "normally", they take off like a bat outta hell and almost run over someone. The import ricer ATTITUDE. THAT'S what I hate.

you know what i think it is to.. everyone always wants to race a mustang.... it's like they want to prove something to us.. For example I have a turbo mustang my friend has a turbo VR6 both of us are he's pushing more whp then me but everytime we're out I'm the one who they always want to race... it's funny..

Ignorance...
:nice:

Got that right. Here in the snow covered midwest, the 5.0 I've had for 20 years just plain ain't up to the job in winter, and doesn't need to be subjected to it anymore. For that duty, and the job of hauling my ass around to work in road construction I have a 94 Corolla. Now, mind you, I'm an American car guy, and I have the running pony tattoo'd to my left arm to prove it. Just can't name one that would get 38 mpg city, not burn ANY oil, have air blow ice cold and, as of this weekend, turn 250,000 miles on the clock. I put exhaust, brakes and a battery into it. Gotta go with what works, and the rice does. The same common sense that made me buy my LX in the first place, also applies. The ignorance is tempered by closed-mindedness, too, I think. Surely wouldn't mistake the Toyota for a race car, though. Don't know where that motivation comes from!

My reasons:

1. It doesnt make sense to build an import to me. The start off at like 130 hp. A mustang starts off at 200-225. So why spend around 5 grand to get your car to 225 hp. You could probably get that hp cheaper doing a junkyard turbo swap or whatever, but you can do that with your mustang too.

2. EVO, STI, S2OO, 300Z, etc... are badass cars but why spend 15grand when you can buy a mustang thats already modded for 5-10 grand that could whoop them.

3. They dont sound half as good.

4. I like my car rated in hp not squirrel power.

My favorite qoute
"Hey man is that squirrel powered acorn injected."

There is no car i HATE more than my own.........

and no, thats not a joke, its a serious love/hate relationship.

and yes, i make fun of mustangs just as much as i do imports, camaros, etc.

like, you know you own a mustang if you own 6 jackstands and they all being used at the same time under the same car.

I actually like eclipses. A very good friend of mine has one with no stickers, ground effects, etc.. that is extremely fast. It is a 2.3 stroker, head work, cams, dsmlink, meth injection, and god only knows what turbo. It would hand me my ass. He scores even more points because he also has a 2003 cobra with a KB that would also hand me my ass. My little bro also has a gsx with quite a lot done to it. Also very fast. However, no rice on either one. Both look stock except for the front mount intercooler. I hate the ricers that rev on me, and do the flyby. And I don't think I like ANY civic.