Will a 67 dual resevoir mast. cyl. work in 66 single resevoir mast. cyl.?

ayyub

Sep 1, 2003
I have a 66 289 v-8 mustang and am putting in a new master cylinder and the auto parts store only has a 67 dual resevoir unit and i was wondering if someone could tell me if that is compatible with my car. Thank you for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

this is an easy swap. you will need a plug for the distribution block, it goes in the rear brake outlet. you will also need some 3/16" brake line, about 12" should do nice, along with a coupler. you may also need a couple of bushings to adapt the 3/16" line to the m/c outlets. use the 66 pushrod as the 67 rod is too long and will cause a slight drag on the brakes as well as keeping the brake lights on. the m/c bolt in place of the stock fruit jar m/c. i did this swap on my 64 falcon. it was an easy swap, and you get safety of the dual m/c. if you have drum brakes on all four, the get the drum brake m/c.

I did this swap in my '65 (four drums!) two years back. In addition to the '67 MC, I also used the distribution block for a '67 and re-plumbed everything.

The '67 bolts right in, but I did have a slight problem with the brake push rod being too short so I replaced it with an adjustable rod.

Alot of work but well worth it! If you ever replace the front drums with discs then you will need to add a proportioning valve.

The one part of the project I haven't completed yet is wiring up a brake warning light from the distribution block (The block has the wiring hook-up), that alerts you to loss of fluid from either side of the set up. :nice:

I have a 66 mustang with manual front disks and rear drums and a duel reservoir master cylinder. I bought it that way and have no idea where the master is from. Anyone know if there is a way to add a power booster to my car?

Get the dual bowl for disc brakes 67-70

As it turns out, you will need only the Dual Master Cylinder and a couple of small fittings!

1 Remove line going into front of old M/C and remove old master.
2 Carefully remove push rod, install in the new M/C and mount on firewall.
3 Bend the line that was in the front of the old master and run it into the back of new M/C (large res.) = Front Brakes
4 The line coming from the rear brake goes into the current dist. block...
5 Remove this line and get a 3/16" double flare fitting and plug that spot on the dist. block...
6 Bend the rear line to run into the front of the new M/C (small res) = Rear Brakes
7 This will require a 3/8" to 3/16" fitting for the rear brake line to enter the new master....
8 Fill with brake fluid and bleed...

PS If you want to run a Proportioning Valve, your run it in line of the rear brake line and in this case, you will need a small piece of brake line 6-8" . Do not use any teflon tape, you will strip it...

Still keeping this boring thread alive. I have mounted a 67 drum/drum master cylinder. The bowls are equal size. Which is the front and which is the rear brake bowl? The front bowl has a larger outlet for the brake line to thread into, but when I bench bled it, the rear bowl pumped fluid much earlier and it seemed with a bit more force than the front bowl. So, which bowl of equal size should I hook up the lines to. I didn't think it mattered, and have the front bowl connected to the front brakes, but will change it if it is wrong.

gw64cpe said:
Still keeping this boring thread alive................................................................ I didn't think it mattered, and have the front bowl connected to the front brakes, but will change it if it is wrong.

No, this is a BRAKING thread! :D

I think the front resevoir plumbs to the rear brakes, and the rear resevoir to the front brakes......not sure why..:scratch:

dual bowl

65stanger said:
No, this is a BRAKING thread! :D

I think the front resevoir plumbs to the rear brakes, and the rear resevoir to the front brakes......not sure why..:scratch:

The dual bowl drum brake masters have equal size bowls.
http://www.mustangdepot.com/images/SDMP/C9AZ-2140-DR.jpg

The dual bowl disc has a larger one in rear.
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/images/Brakes/C8ZZ-2140-AR.gif

The larger one is meant for a "front" caliper since the use more fluid.

This is just fine drum or disc!

continuing the master cylinder swap post

mdjay said:
As it turns out, you will need only the Dual Master Cylinder and a couple of small fittings!

1 Remove line going into front of old M/C and remove old master.
2 Carefully remove push rod, install in the new M/C and mount on firewall.
3 Bend the line that was in the front of the old master and run it into the back of new M/C (large res.) = Front Brakes
4 The line coming from the rear brake goes into the current dist. block...
5 Remove this line and get a 3/16" double flare fitting and plug that spot on the dist. block...
6 Bend the rear line to run into the front of the new M/C (small res) = Rear Brakes
7 This will require a 3/8" to 3/16" fitting for the rear brake line to enter the new master....
8 Fill with brake fluid and bleed...

PS If you want to run a Proportioning Valve, your run it in line of the rear brake line and in this case, you will need a small piece of brake line 6-8" . Do not use any teflon tape, you will strip it...

OK...I'm going to try this swap on my 66 non-power coupe. But I call the napa store to order the mc, and they ask if i want the power or non-power mc. I have non-power, but i want to add power one day, I also want to add disks one day. So, am I ok in buying the power-disk/drum 1967 Master Cylinder??
Thanks in advance for your replies