Will I gain any power by switching to an x-pipe?

• Sponsors (?)

There was a test a while back on different X-pipes. There was very little difference between the brands; and they threw an H pipe on there just to compare. The H pipe made only a couple of HP/lb-ft less than the best X pipe all across the range.

It might make it sound different - the test said the X pipes were noticeably quieter than the H pipe. But I doubt you'll see any significant difference in power output.

1990LXDropTop said:
Well I do want to quiet my car down some. I do a lot of driving late at night and I have angered my neighbors before because my car is so loud.

The volume of your car will depend more on whether you run cats and what type of mufflers you are using. I run a catted h and 2 chamber flows. I personally think the car is a little quiet but the whine from the s/c drowns out any exhaust note I may have. The best sounding (and loudest) exhaust was w/o my supercharger and an o/r H pipe. Loved that sound :rolleyes:

I talked to a tech at anderson ford motorsport once about the same thing. He said that if you have unequal length headers they recommend the h-pipe because it builds better torqe. If you have equal length or long tubes they suggest an x-pipe to help high rpm horse power.

Exhaust...hmm. Headers claim over 20 hp, xpipe - another 20, and flow masters more...etc. If these numbers were correct, I should dyno at say....4,000RWHP. Point is, these numbers are bull. Don't believe everything you read on parts. I've had both H-pipe and X-pipe. Biggest difference you'll notice is sound. You're not gonna see big numbers until you do a real mod like heads or blower. Intake manifold may show a small jump.

Killer50stang said:
Exhaust...hmm. Headers claim over 20 hp, xpipe - another 20, and flow masters more...etc. If these numbers were correct, I should dyno at say....4,000RWHP. Point is, these numbers are bull. Don't believe everything you read on parts. I've had both H-pipe and X-pipe. Biggest difference you'll notice is sound. You're not gonna see big numbers until you do a real mod like heads or blower. Intake manifold may show a small jump.

Click the link in my sig to see my mods.

Killer50stang said:
Am I to be impressed? Not trying to be rude, but what's your point? Nice car by the way.

No I was not trying to impress you. You said in your post that I'm not going to see a big power increase unless I do heads, cam, blower, etc. In other words, I was assuming you thought my motor was stock so I mentioned the link in my sig so that you could see that my car wasn't stock and maybe give me a better estimate as to what an x-pipe will net once you had seen what mods I have.

1990LXDropTop said:
No I was not trying to impress you. You said in your post that I'm not going to see a big power increase unless I do heads, cam, blower, etc. In other words, I was assuming you thought my motor was stock so I mentioned the link in my sig so that you could see that my car wasn't stock and maybe give me a better estimate as to what an x-pipe will net once you had seen what mods I have.

You're not going to notice a difference no matter what mod you have. Don't waste your time.

"its all personal preference."

Wise words. Because of space and configuration issues, I run an H pipe; but my muffler (yes, just one) is a replica of an OEM Boss 429/302 transverse dual in/dual out muffler. Kind of the ultimate 'pro chamber' in that all the exhaust comingles in the single muffler. I LOVE the sound -- and it's fairly quiet -- which is my personal preference.