Will the TFS stage 1 cam work with strock valve springs?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
Will the TFS stage 1 cam work with stock valve springs?

I did a search and read that someone said he was running .510" lift on stock valve springs. :shrug: Is that maxing out the stock springs or what? I want to put a stage 1 in my '65 this winter. I just want to be sure I can use the stock springs with NO troubles. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i would say that they would work but stiffer rated springs would work way better, you may get some ramping with higher rpms and wont get a good seal if you use the stock ones. i have the "f" cam .512 lift with 125 pound springs and they work great.

hey, i just noticed your from iowa, what part? i live in shell rock, near waverly

Thanks for the info. I will probably either buy a set of ported heads or port my own heads, so I will probably just go ahead and replace the springs then.

I live near Ottumwa, you're quite a ways away. lol

denny davis said:
i would say that they would work but stiffer rated springs would work way better, you may get some ramping with higher rpms and wont get a good seal if you use the stock ones. i have the "f" cam .512 lift with 125 pound springs and they work great.

hey, i just noticed your from iowa, what part? i live in shell rock, near waverly

Denny, where are you from in Iowa? And speed Demon, I'd not take a chance with valve float as the stage 1 has a bit more duration than the stock cam.
Tim

srothfuss said:
I'd say they will work up until about 5,000 RPM's and then you will experience valve float on your stock springs.... especially if they have high milage on them.
I will probably go ahead and change them, then. I like to take her to 5000-5500 a lot. Thanks. :nice:

You will need different springs. Yeah, it will run with stockers, but I wouldn't do that. I knew a guy running the F cam with stock springs, .512 lift, floated valves at 4Krpm, then one spring broke a few months later and the valve dropped down and gernaded the motor. :)

90mustangGT said:
You will need different springs. Yeah, it will run with stockers, but I wouldn't do that. I knew a guy running the F cam with stock springs, .512 lift, floated valves at 4Krpm, then one spring broke a few months later and the valve dropped down and gernaded the motor. :)
Ouch. I definitely don't want that s**t. lol

TrickFlow sells a valve spring kit for OEM heads that allows you to run .542" lift, costs $130. Looks like a good kit to me. :shrug:

http://www.trickflow.com/product/camsandvalvetrain/pr_springupgradekits.asp

90mustangGT said:
Very wise grasshopper!!!
Hey, I do what I can. :D

Hopefully this cam will do some good. I have heard a couple sound clips and they sound pretty sick, but I want some good pull. The engine needs some internal mods, basically. And I'm a broke ass kid, so I can't go too radical yet. :(