windows vista

• Sponsors (?)

I work as Tier 2 tech at a helpdesk, im also using vista.. its ok, but it still has home serious issues...nothing to major, just some security fixes that need updating... If you get it use Vista Ultimate, its the only one right now, thats stable enough

One of my brother's friends in college tried putting it on his computer he built for school. It is worth something like 15 or 18 hundred dollars. The guy said it was noticeably slower and he just flat out didn't like it. As for me, I will stick with OS X from now on.

i just reformatted my hd with XP SP2 and my XP install was corrupt, but to double check and make sure it wasnt the drive, i borrowed Vista Ultimate from a buddy and it installed and ran fine (which meant basically i need a new XP disk).

my intentions were to use vista to just troubleshoot the above problem. problem is, vista runs BETTER on my machine than XP did. i had a "vista like" sidebar and it showed my processor always hovered around 4-5% at idle, and my ram useage was around 40% at idle. now my processor is at 0-1% at idle and my ram useage is only 30-35%. Vista boots lightning fast, opening programs is faster than XP, searching for a file is instant. and here i used to be a "no dont get vista yet, issues, performance, yadda yadda" but i was just spouting what others told me. ive yet to run superpi or 3dmark06 to compare with this exact machine on XP since i havent downloaded them yet, but i doubt its going to make any difference.

I wont be uninstalling vista anytime soon. i dont see any reason to. its pretty and IMO its faster.

Specs are:
2.4ghz 3800+ "Venice" single-core (socket939)
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR Expert Mobo
1gb Kingston Ram (DDR800 i believe)
BFGtech 7800GT-OC (and oc'd some more!)
550w Sunbeam Power Supply
1 80GB SATA3.0 main drive (for OS and high end games)
2 auxilary IDE drives for storage
DVD-ROM and CD-R

I've had vista for a decent amount of time, in my degree they give out one copy of all microsoft products for free. The one question I would ask you is this: are you decent enough with computers that you can check online and find out how to fix problems/download drivers if need be? If yes, then install it. If no, then wait for service pack 1 to come out, then install it.

I am a Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE\Security) and I've been using Vista for awhile now. If you're going to use Vista this is what I would recommend:

1) I originally had 1GB of RAM. While Vista ran "OK". Once I started having a couple of programs open it really slowed down. I upgraded to 2GB and it's pretty good now.

2) If you're going to be doing an upgrade, or using one of those free upgrade CDs that you were promised when you bought your PC then MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANOTHER *ADMINISTRATOR* ACCOUNT BESIDES "Administrator". I have had a couple of people (including my boss) get completely locked out of their machine.

When some people install Windows XP they don't create a user for them to use and they run as the administrator. When you perform the Vista upgrade it will DISABLE the Administrator account and you will be completely locked out. If your username is currently Administrator then you need to make another administrator account so this will not happen.

3) Some programs don't work "properly" and some don't work at all. A good example is SCT's data logging software is not supported on Vista.

4) Make sure your printer is supported under Vista. HP is really bad for this. There are printers that are only 2 or 3 years old and HP will NOT release drivers for them.

I think that's about it for now.. Vista is "OK", but it's more "fluff" than anything..

Riley

Anything Microsoft sucks (minus XBOX)

leopard_os_x.gif

FTMFW

vista is yet another example of how screwed up macro$haft is. too expensive, too crappy, horrible coding, they ripped off everything from linux and did i mention how horrible it is?

basically if you want something that is pretty but doesn't work right get vista.

Wow, I'm glad some people in here know what they are talking about, linux and mac FTW! Oh wait... :notnice: I'll be the first to admit vista is very, very buggy right now, but don't get me started on macs and linux :rlaugh:

My biggest gripe is software compatibility. I bought a new laptop right after vista came out to use in school. I wanted to run SQL sever 2000 and visual studio 2003 - both wouldnt work, I had to download SQL 2005 and upgrade to SP2 and I had to go with visual studio 2005. BUT, on a brighter note, yesterday I successfully got an HP deskjet 970cse printer to work with vista.... that printer is almost 8 years old. The driver support is coming, we just have to be patient.

One thing you have to remember is vista is the future, like it or not . If you wait a year to load it and you will be a year behind. Most of the people that will tell you they love it, have been using it since the beta releases. I say just load it and use it, work through the problems.

Another thing you have to take into account is Microsoft realized they made a huge mistake keeping support for win 98 for so long. It cost them too much to keep up support for it, you can bet that wont happen with win xp- I give it 2 years before they cut support for that. They feel responsible for making people progress with technology.... and they want more money...

Long story short- load it and familiarize yourself with it. At the very least do a dual boot setup with it.

Just my .02

I'm running Vista and have no problems. My laptop is brand spanking new. I actually bought it 2 days before Vista came out so i missed getting it installed from the factory.

I got the upgrade CD's and did the upgrade. At first i didn't like it. My computer took forever to load and i found out there is no unistall and i couldn't get XP back on!!

So i worked with it and downloaded updated files and patches and eventually repaired all the faults that occured during the install.

Now my comp boots up lightning fast, and there is very little CP usage and memory usages. I think it does run better on my PC at least.

I don't have any issues with hanging or crashing. I leave my laptop on for 2-3 weeks at a time without a reboot and it still runs just as fast on day 18 as it did on initial startup.