Wiper Problems

I was driving today with no troubles and it started to sprinkle a little. I turned the wipers on and no matter what setting I put it on, I only got one speed. I switched it off and they kept going at that one slow delayed speed. I cannot get them to shut off now.

Another thing. If I unhook the harness on the switch on the column, it doesn't change. It keeps going on that delay. If I unhook the harness right on the wiper motor that goes to the switch, it runs at full speed. Does this mean there is a problem in the wire harness going to the switch or a problem with the motor?

Where can I get a wiring diagram for the wiper motor?

• Sponsors (?)

Possible Interval Governor problem.

92wiperjf3.jpg

Governor looks like

wipergovsw2038ut4.th.jpg

and is located near the steering column under the dash.

Attachments

• 92wiperjf3.jpg
    92wiperjf3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 154
  • wipergovsw2038ut4.th.jpg
    wipergovsw2038ut4.th.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 102
I have the whole underside of the dash and column taken apart. I cannot physically locate it. Is it attached to the multi function switch?

I got a part number from Ford and found a few places online that sell it. I gotta find it first though.:nonono:

Is it possible this delay module has been deleted? The washer motor has been deleted I know for sure. I only ask because I think I found were it is supposed to be. There are two screws there, but whatever they were holding in place is now gone. I wonder if the guy before me that did the wiring circumvented the governor to remove it.

Anything is possible especially if you're not the original owner. Who knows what's been done to the car. Here's a breakdown of where the governor would be mounted. Chances are yours has been removed and the system rewired. If so, you're going to have to trace wires, check connections and compare them to the schematic. It would narrow your problem down to the motor, wiring, and switch.

governorlocationmc6.jpg

Attachments

• governorlocationmc6.jpg
    governorlocationmc6.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 168
Yep it has definitely been removed. That was the spot I was looking at. I pulled the switch completely out. After I pulled all the harnesses off, the wipers stopped. Stupid MF switch is probably bad.

Thanks for that pic of the module location. You da man.:hail2:

How can I test the switch with a meter?

That's the correct P/N for a 90-93 MF switch. The 94 still has some type of wiper control module between the MF switch and the motor, but I don't know if it's even possible to just R&R the switch with a pre-93 vehicle.