wipers only worked on high, now not at all.. whats the problem?

91stang50GT

Nov 1, 2005
I just got the car a few weeks ago, its a 91 gt. The wipers haven't worked on intermit. or low speed since ive had it but they did work on high. The washer does not work either.Today i went out to the car and turned the wipers on (high) and it worked for maybe one wipe and then stopped in the middle of the windshield so now i have no wipers at all. I tried tapping on the motor to see if it would move but no go. Before i go to the junk yard what is it most likely to be? thanks:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The wiper switch is part of the multifunction switch on the column. It could be the problem and is the most likely problem.

There is also a separate electronic box, I think, called the interval governor, that controls the interval function and the parking function.

I would start with the switch.

If the wipers are still sitting halfway in the windshield, I would look for no power to the windshield motor itself, or at the motor itself. The latter is much more likely.

The motor gets constant power so that even when you turn the switch off, the wipers will not stop right then and there, but return to rest in the cowl. So with the switch off, they should have still fallen to rest.

Good luck.

My wipers were doing the same thing. First they got really slow, then they only worked in high, then they didn't work at all. I got a new motor from Autozone for about $60 ($30 core charge). I installed the new motor and that solved the problem (temporarily), now about 2 years later they are getting slow again and occasionally stop, but the motor does have a LLT warranty, so I just need to find the time to swap it out.

since it sounds like you already solved your problem, I don't feel bad chiming in with irrelevant banter:
I lived in Florida for awhile, and driving a Chevy truck (loaner), my wipers broke and in Orlando it rains at least 3 times a day, and IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to operate the wiper w/ my arm out the window holding the wiper.
It was ass.