Would you buy a 69 351w block?

WhiteSN95

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2002
There is a 69 block for sale that has been magniflux, sonic check, and hot tanked. I was wondering if the 69 blocks are worth the extra work that goes into them to convert to a roller cam. I appreciate any input.

• Sponsors (?)

Depends how much power you plan on making. For anything less than 600rwhp I probably wouldn't bother unless you get an awesome deal on it. The link-bar lifters are a good idea even in a newer block, but it sucks to pay $400+ for them. My main problem is with the 2 piece rear main seal...mine's leaking and it's not easy to replace it. :(

As to the block or RMS or build itself..That's one thing I dont have an issue with. My engine builder got that right - find a good one.

Yes those lifters were ridiculous, $450 and they look exactly the same as the solids - so if you start your car and it sounds like a buzz saw and you have 1/8 inch play in the lash..you'll know why.. The only problem I had with the 351W conversion was:

Belt slippage cuz tough finding fitting belt (took months to get perfect), hood clearance (had to cut hood), distr broke (in traffic), blow by (coming into cabin and choking me out), oil pan bolt hit sway bar on bumps (re-pull engine entirely), dipstick leakage, TB gasket leak (causing annoying whistle - took me 3 months to find), PP fuel rail leaked horribly (went back to stock), FRPP crank pully no workee on 351W(much grinding), coil blew, had to buy new headers, and 300rwhp (100rwhp off from my dyno goal) from a "mis-matched combo" as the dyno guy called it. So as long as you dont make those mistakes, you should be ok.

Thanks for the information on the issues you had. I think I am going to just get the shortblock all ready put together so i don't have to due the conversion. I can do the install of most bolts on, but don't think I have enough knowledge to deal with the conversion and any problems that may come up through the process.

Yes I would buy it. When getting ready for my 351W stroker, I looked a few months for a '69 block but couldn't find one that wasn't way over priced. I wanted something a little stronger than a newer 351 block but didn't want to pay for a Dart. I bought a Dart.