you guys heard about the ford fires involving the cruse control switch?????

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
anyony know the deal with this? i know it is usually the ford trucks, but i heard crown vic and grand marque. i dont doubt that ford puts the same switches in most of the vehicles. i mean we do have the same 4.6 alot of the car havein the fires. what do you guys make of it?

i have the gt in the garage, and the explorer in the drive way. peoples houses have caught fire because of this. im thinking of going to ford and having cruise control removed form both vehicles. i dont care if i have to pay for it.

sorry if this is not the accurite forum, i felt it was very important.

• Sponsors (?)

well supposedly the switch is wired to have juice running to it even when the vehicle is off. one guy said his car was off for 9 hours when it caught fire in his garage. i dont know if they were using cruise control before it happend.

of course ford has no strait answers to what is causing the fires.

this is some real bullcrap!!! im tired of this kind of stuff with ford.

I have a co-worker with a F-150 and he took it in for that cruise control recall. He said that alot of people have taken their trucks in and Ford is out of parts right now. So, all they did is disconnect it by just unplugging it. He was like "**** I scheduled an apointment just for that." He has to wait for parts now but he could still drive it.

what all they do is unplug the sensor or somthing?

the mustang does not have this switch? are you guys sure? id hate to have my car and house burn down.

ill unplug the explorer myself if i can. does anyone have a pic of where the part is located? thanks

i knew this would turn tech :D

My buddy has a 2000 Lightning, when he bought the truck late last year the cruise was disconnected for that reason, but monday he took it to the local ford dealership and they fixed it under a warranty recall claim.

Mustangs have the Cruise deactivation switch and brake pressure switch mounted on the brake pedal assembly under the dash. The pressure switch is also wired hot but not much chance of igniting the brake fluid from there.

I have been doing a lot of those recalls. Originally we were just unplugging the brake pressure switch while ford made enough switches and jumper harnesses for the recall on the selected vehicles. Now all the dealers should have them in stock so the recall can actually be done. I personally think the recall will be expanded pretty soon, I even bought one and installed it on my dad's 99 expedition because I really don't trust the old style brake pressure switches. Funny thing is the new brake pressure switch that is used in this recall really doesn't work that well. Fords been using it since 03 and I have replaced close to 20 of them for the cruise control being INOP, I think there is already an SSM out about them.

squares98 said:
they replaced mine back in 99 or some time many eons ago.
edit: nevermind it was a recall for the cruise control failing in general, not a fire problem

Same thing here. I took it in (went it was working perfectly fine) and let them do the recall service on it. I just noticed that in the last few months my cruise control is working like crap. I just did 3 long trips and it was a pain in the ass trying to get it to turn on.