Your Input: Bilstein

Hey guys,

I was looking around at the different shocks and struts out there. Tokico D-specs are pretty apealing. I will never be running road course so the adjustable is not really needed for me. Plus, the scare of blowing a seal with the adjustment valving is also pushing me away from them.

I have came across the Bilstein front and rear shocks and struts, $605, same as the Tokico's.

I don't see the Bilstiens on many sites, only on a select few; I find that very interesting, almost seems kind of.. shady?

Are they true Bilstiens, will they live up to the Bilstein name, are they worth it?

I am looking for a good, non-adjustable shock, strut setup. Using them in conjunction with the Eibach Pro-Sport springs.

What do you think about these Bilsteins?

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys,

I was looking around at the different shocks and struts out there. Tokico D-specs are pretty apealing. I will never be running road course so the adjustable is not really needed for me. Plus, the scare of blowing a seal with the adjustment valving is also pushing me away from them.

I have came across the Bilstein front and rear shocks and struts, $605, same as the Tokico's.

I don't see the Bilstiens on many sites, only on a select few; I find that very interesting, almost seems kind of.. shady?

Are they true Bilstiens, will they live up to the Bilstein name, are they worth it?

I am looking for a good, non-adjustable shock, strut setup. Using them in conjunction with the Eibach Pro-Sport springs.

What do you think about these Bilsteins?

Thanks guys.

Bilstein's have quite a rep with the european crowd, they are a very reputable brand. I'm running the Tokico HP's (non adjustable) and they are very solid feeling. I bought the set of 4 for $325. I don't intend to take the car too often (might see dragstrip occasionally) and they work great as a DD option.

Just my .02

my 2000 S10 Xtreme came with bilstein shocks as OEM equipment. they were very nice, especially with a lowered truck. i have never installed them as a replacement for stock, so i cannot compare between a stock and a bilstein replacement.

FWIW, J&M sells the D-specs for about $500 shipped. that may add to your thought process between the two manufacturers. 2005-2009 FORD MUSTANG TOKICO D-SPEC SHOCKS & STRUTS SET

Thanks Big Cat, that is a very good find. I am giving some serious thought into this now.

Is that site a pretty reliable source? Do they package their products well?

The HP's are also looking pretty apealing, so much out there; its tough.

When inquired about adjustable/coilover setups a racing instructor for MSR told me get yourself some springs and a set of Bilsteins or Koni Yellows and that's all you'll ever need.

There's gotta be something to them.

There are reports of Bilstein giving customers the run around with warranty replacements (Where the lower mount broke at the welds). I felt my HD Bilsteins were extremely overdamped with inadequate rebound, so my tires tended to hop over speed bumps at low speed and gave an extremely rough ride on bumpy roads. I felt the stock dampers on my S197 GT are more than adequate for road use as they give a good balance of comfort and handling. The track is a different story.