Your opinions

87_5.0

Jan 4, 2004
Can anyone please tell me what i should get for my 87 Mustang. So far i have exhaust, intake, gears, tri ax shifter, clutch cable, k&N, Distributor, plugs and wires. I want something to give me more power, but i dont want to spend much, any suggestions? I was thinking about pullies, but i hear bad things. :shrug: thanks,

Brent

• Sponsors (?)

How about a little detail. When you say intake and exaust, do you mean a cold air kit and catback, or do you have headers and a different intake manifold? Pullies? good bang for the buck but what alternator do you have, what accesories do you run?

Heads and lower intake are the biggest bottlenecks.

Dump the A/C, that's a free mod not sure how much power it would give as AC systems don't take power unless you're using it. But I bet it would save a few pounds. Take apart the interior and remove all that tar stuff from the floor boards, another few pounds. Removing weight is cheap and effective.

Boss351 said:
Dump the A/C, that's a free mod not sure how much power it would give as AC systems don't take power unless you're using it. But I bet it would save a few pounds. Take apart the interior and remove all that tar stuff from the floor boards, another few pounds. Removing weight is cheap and effective.

I disagree with dumping the A/C, keep it until the car is rarely driven or is a race car. There's not enough weight there to make any difference on the street.

I agree with what was said above, go for the pulleys, if you have any problems, take them off. I had them on my '87 and I never had any problems. Also keep the A/C, I made the mistake of taking it off a long time ago while it was still working and have regreted ever since. Instead of getting rid of the A/C, ditch the smog pump. Another easy mod you could do is an electric fan, it frees up a little power. I did the pulleys and fan the same time on my car and it made it rev up faster and I did notice a little difference in performance, also it can increase gas mileage, although it didn't in my case. Also an aluminum driveshaft may free up a little power and replace old u joints at the same time and take away any high vibrations with the gears. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head, hope it helps.