ZR Tire Question

I just bought a '96 Mustang GT and it needs new tires really bad. It has 245/45ZR17 BFGoodrich tires on it now. I did some research and was blown away at the price of the ZR rated tires. Can someone tell me if I can get away with a different 17" tire that is cheaper and not rated ZR or am I stuck with paying over $200CDN per tire?

• Sponsors (?)

Kumho Esta Supra 712s (not 711s). You can usually get them for under $100 each. Not a bad tire for the price and they look good and have a great tread pattern. It was my last tire and they lasted me around three years with long trips and aggressive driving.

712s are "Z" rated and 711s are "H" rated (but the "H" rated don't have the aggressive tread pattern)

I just bought some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s. Not cheap. I paid $180 a tire but they usually go for about $270 a tire. I got a discount on a discount from a Goodyear wholeseller. Man do they grip.

Thanks guys, we don't have much for tire shops where I live, just Canadian Tire, Kal-Tire and some locally owned place called OK Tire. I managed to find some decent "H" rated tires for under $200.

Heh, and GDawg, those Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's are $323.49CDN where I live.