01 Crankshaft Position Sensor

dhood

Feb 2, 2004
Hey guys, I have an 2001 GT. I was talking with a Ford mechanic about some mods I want to do and he said that before I do anything I should install a crankshaft position sensor. He said Ford usually doesn't advance the timing enough and this will advance it. It is installed with 2 bolts next to the crank. He said it's expensive (about $200.00) but is worth it.

Question 1 - Is he right, does it work, does anyone know the details? How hard is it to install, etc.

Question 2 - Where can I buy one

Any and all info you can give me would be appreciated.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Steeda Timing Adjuster.

Takes about 30 minutes to install just follow the directions closely and use a dab of sealant or RTV on the key way of the crankshaft.
It does help but performs better in combination with the U/D pulleys.

-Cale

Thanks for the advise. The Ford machanic said that all I need was the sensor. Why do you suspose he didn't mention the rest? He was very confident in his answer and I trust him. He has been turning wrenches at Ford for 15 years.

Mechanics don't know everything and he prob. dont even a 99+ mustang. My best friend is a mechanic at ford and he does not know all the aftermarket parts for the 4.6 engine. He knows everything about the 5.0 engine since he owned a couple of them. You can adjust the timing through a timing adjuster or a chip. Just use 91+ octane fuel.

i just went through my crankshaft sensor getting wacked by the reluctor wheel due to a wobbly pully... the crankshaft sensor is about 8 inches to the left of the crank pully an takes about 10 minutes to change and costs 22 bucks.... so where hes telling you 200 i have no idea where he got that price , unless he is including the reluctor wheel behind the crank pully...

get the adjuster and dont look back, the cps cant do what the adjuster can.

Yep, Steeda Timing Adjuster. Your Mechanic friend is out in left field. All distributorless ignition systems use crankshaft position sensors. You already have a CPS, so all you need is the t/a to mechanically advance the timing. The Steeda kit places the PIP wheel out in front of the crank damper, and it's slotted in a 3 bolt diametral pattern, so you can advance or retard the timing to your needs. Visit the Steeda site, or just go to the Partshopper section of this site. You'll see what we're talking about.
Good Luck, and tell that buddy of yours to get some training! :lol: