03 GT steering issue

03stangGTSC

Feb 24, 2008
hiya, new to the forum

Just picked up a nice 03 GT, it's a stick and the previous owner did just a few mods to it. Cold air intake, 18" cobra R rims, after market exhaust. The car is badass all day, I love it. Pulls harder than I seem to remember these cars pulling, clutch feels great, everything feels right on this car....

....except the steering. It isnt too big a deal but I wanted to ask about it in case this is a problem that others have had. I will be driving along at normal speeds, and the center position for the steering almost feels like it moves a little one way or the other. Ok, let me try to explain it better than that--I am on a smooth road, no bumps, at really any speed. The road has an easy bend to the right, so I steer around the curve, then straighten out. And then the car wants to pull a little bit to the right. Likewise, if I make a left turn, sometimes it then wants to pull a little to the left. It is only a little bit, and if I turn the wheel back far enough the opposite way, it will track straight again. The "center" spot doesnt move--when its pulling to one side, the steering wheel is turned that little bit too. So it isnt like slop in the steering rack.

Its completely manageable at all speeds, but I would rather replace something now than have the car leave me stuck later, or worse. Does this sound familiar to anyone? ARe there any ideas on what to check? It seems to be a random thing--doesnt happen each time the wheel is turned. A lot of the time I'll be driving straight, take my hands off the wheel and it tracks straight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is my first Mustang, but I am basically familiar with cars. My other toys include a 1995 T-Bird Supercoupe and I have experience with RX7's so I can work my way around an engine bay. I am just looking for things to check.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought a bone stock 04 GT last summer. After a week, the steering went out. (previous owner must have had some fun before trading it in). Once the band new rack was in, I noticed the same thing you are talking about... I think. It's not slop, just exremely resposive to the slightest things. Bumps, curves in the road, wind. I can be on a two lane road, and the car will pull slightly to the left in the fast lane, and slightly to the right in the slow lane. Just because of the curvature of the road. I can even feel a soda can at the wheel. It's just the way the rack is designed. One major thing to consider though, does your care have an anftermarket suspension?

what kind of tires are on it? It could simply be the tires want to follow grooves in the road, but it's hard to tell from an internet post.

Tires with a sharp shoulder tend to follow road inperfections more than tires with a rounded shoulder. And performance tires tend to have a sharper shoulder. lower profile tires tend to emphasize this, as well.

You might get the alignment checked and have someone give the steering mechanics the once over, but it's probably just the effect of the low-profile tire.

Driving style can affect how this impacts your perception - when I drive my car normally, I simply guide it with a light hand on the wheel, but some of my friends will grip the wheel tightly and try to constantly correct for every little bump and groove. I drive straight and smooth, but they tend to wander in the lane more and quickly get tired driving my car.

It sounds like it could be your tires. I have 03 17 inch cobra rims with a 275/40 tires and they seem to grip the road very well and want to turn along with the grooves of the road. Just keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times:D Also is your car lowered? If it is you might want to check the alignment.

Mine does the exact same thing. I had it aligned twice had a bump steer kit and x-2 ball joints installed but it still does it. Some times I can take my hand off the wheel and it will go strait other times it goes left then right. The only other thing I can think of is its because I have snow tires.

Wider tires is likely the issue - I too have 275/40s up front and, if the road has any ruts in it, she'll follow them perfectly. Never had much of an issue on the same roads with the stock 245/45 tires.

It is NOT any of the suspension parts or the rack. My 96 Cobra did the SAME thing. Theres is a bearing in the firewall around the steering shaft. Mine cracked and fell down the shaft, out of position from where it is supposed to be. I replaced that and it fixed the movement in the wheel. I also replaced the steering shaft with an 03 Cobra shaft...(only because Blue Oval Industries had a clearance on them for 35 dollars) When the bearing was missing the shaft moved in every direction about 1/4". To test for this, get under the car and grab the steering shaft at the firewall....move around...if you can't move it that is good...if you can move it that is the bearing.

Man, I fought this for two summers....inner and outer tie rods...NO...tires....NO, wheel alighment...NO, steering shaft...NO. I spent a lot of money throwing parts at it and it never solved the problem.

It is NOT any of the suspension parts or the rack. My 96 Cobra did the SAME thing. Theres is a bearing in the firewall around the steering shaft. Mine cracked and fell down the shaft, out of position from where it is supposed to be. I replaced that and it fixed the movement in the wheel. I also replaced the steering shaft with an 03 Cobra shaft...(only because Blue Oval Industries had a clearance on them for 35 dollars) When the bearing was missing the shaft moved in every direction about 1/4". To test for this, get under the car and grab the steering shaft at the firewall....move around...if you can't move it that is good...if you can move it that is the bearing.

Man, I fought this for two summers....inner and outer tie rods...NO...tires....NO, wheel alighment...NO, steering shaft...NO. I spent a lot of money throwing parts at it and it never solved the problem.

the slop would be felt in the steering wheel as well, correct?

I'm able to move the steering wheel about .5-1" in both directions without it affecting the direction of the car. got a guide or anything to help with the replacement of the bearing?

This may be the most obvious (and easiest to overlook) thing.... are your directional treads on the tires aligned properly? That is, is the Rotation arros ---> pointing toward the front of the car?