04 Cobra or Repair 00GT

• Sponsors (?)

well what can you get out of the gt as it sits?

I still say forged bottom end and up the bost though. you can get just as much power out of a 2v as the cobra. I have see brutal numbers out of cars from cobra killer that were 2v.

7k+6k=13k. that is less than half of 28k. plus you will have to mod the cobra to get the power you could have out of a forged bottom end in your gt.

You know I like WOT's idea too :nice: . I also would love to have an 04 Cobra. I will see how much my note will be on a 04 and go from there. Hey guys I drove a 01 Cobra today and it was soooo much slower than my car I almost cried :( . I guess I had gotten used to how fast mine was.

hognutz said:
well what can you get out of the gt as it sits?

I still say forged bottom end and up the bost though. you can get just as much power out of a 2v as the cobra. I have see brutal numbers out of cars from cobra killer that were 2v.

7k+6k=13k. that is less than half of 28k. plus you will have to mod the cobra to get the power you could have out of a forged bottom end in your gt.
:rolleyes: sigh.....is it always about power with you guys?

http://www.focusfrenzy.com/showpost.php?p=4900666&postcount=19

04 cobra is awsome i would love to have had one. i am to deep into the gt, and there are many people who are deeper then me. how they can even think about taking that type of money loss is beyond me. what you would get for your gt is nothing compaired to the price of the cobra.

if you sell your car: 4000 tops for mods, you have to buy new engine for 2 grand and that will bring your mod money down to 2000. sell your car, i dont know the milage or condition, but it would prob. be 10-15 grand if you have low milage. so after everything you will prob. end up with maybe 15 grand. you owe another 13 + tax for the cobra.

i dont know what built motor your looking at for 6 grand but it seems a bit high... ive seen them from 3-4 grand. and install. you already have the blower right? i just dont get how anyone thinks that getting the cobra will save some money?

maybe im just mad cause im too deep to get the cobra, but i made my choice to build the gt and slap the blower on. of course it will be less work to do on the cobra! i vote build the GT or like someone else said buy the engine and the trans of the 03 and slap it in the GT.... that would be bad ass.

Gearbanger 101 said:

my quote has nothing to do with power. It is about money. 6k is less than 28k. plain and simple.

one way you have to spend 6k and one way you have to buy a brand new car.

that 28k does not include the mods your talking abut either.

so the 6k on the gt will yeild a faster car. now the cobra can be modded to be insane but that is not free.

hognutz said:
my quote has nothing to do with power. It is about money. 6k is less than 28k. plain and simple.

one way you have to spend 6k and one way you have to buy a brand new car.

that 28k does not include the mods your talking abut either.

so the 6k on the gt will yeild a faster car. now the cobra can be modded to be insane but that is not free.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I still find it funny that when you stack the two against each other, you’re only comparing what it would cost to build up the SOHC to be faster than, or on par with the Cobra’s stock potential and then calling them the same thing. I just find it funny that the only argument that the ones who are against the idea of the Cobra can come up with is based on what it would cost to make power alone. You guys make is sound as though the Cobra is nothing more than a GT with 4V engine and neglect in your reasoning all of the other attributes that the Cobra has going for it. The attributes I listed earlier as a matter of fact that could not comparatively even come close to being copied, or bested for the amount of money involved in the price difference between the GT and the Cobra. That’s what makes me roll my eyes and chuckle.

I’ve said it a million times, but it seems to fall on deaf ears with a lot of GT owners who can’t see the forest through the trees. There’s much more of a difference between the GT and a Cobra than just a powerful engine! You can add all the power you’d like to a GT and admittedly probably do it a few thousand dollars cheaper than you would with just buying a Cobra to start with. But in the end, you’re still driving nothing more than a fast run of the mill GT. If you want to truly copy the Cobra, do the math and add up the cost of all of the other goodies and enhancements it’s got over a GT and you’ll see it can’t be done for a lesser price. The Snake is a bargain in comparison, any way you slice it!

no gear babger you are right in a sence. by the time im done modding my car the way i want it, i will have spent about 50,000 enough to buy a zo6. point is that now half way through it would be a waste of even more money t osell mine and buy the cobra.

i also agree with you about the breaks, interior, and other stuff the cobra hass that the gt dont. however the name cobra dont mean nothing to me, just more money. oh and it would be worth more, but i am not selling so who cares.

for 7K you can have a carbed DOHC 5.4 :D

FRONT_LH1.jpg

honestly though, check this out on eBay, only 6500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33615&item=7964649130&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

IM003858.JPG

I'd be quite scared of racking up mileage on a Cobra...a built and blown GT would be a car to keep around and drive, since it's value will tank either way.

I've had the same dilema for the last 2 years with my GT, and somehow I still end up keeping my GT. Although I must admit I'm not as far into the modding as you, I don't worry as much racking up the miles (86k on mine) then if I were to have a cobra, then it becomes a garage queen.

I don't know, to me it is any easy call, if your bottom end is cooked, get a good forged shortblock and keep the GT. It will cost a whole heck of a lot less than an '04 Cobra.

A shortblock will cost you no where near $6K.

If you heart is set on an '04, take the financial lickin' and go for it.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I still find it funny that when you stack the two against each other, you’re only comparing what it would cost to build up the SOHC to be faster than, or on par with the Cobra’s stock potential and then calling them the same thing. I just find it funny that the only argument that the ones who are against the idea of the Cobra can come up with is based on what it would cost to make power alone. You guys make is sound as though the Cobra is nothing more than a GT with 4V engine and neglect in your reasoning all of the other attributes that the Cobra has going for it. The attributes I listed earlier as a matter of fact that could not comparatively even come close to being copied, or bested for the amount of money involved in the price difference between the GT and the Cobra. That’s what makes me roll my eyes and chuckle.

I’ve said it a million times, but it seems to fall on deaf ears with a lot of GT owners who can’t see the forest through the trees. There’s much more of a difference between the GT and a Cobra than just a powerful engine! You can add all the power you’d like to a GT and admittedly probably do it a few thousand dollars cheaper than you would with just buying a Cobra to start with. But in the end, you’re still driving nothing more than a fast run of the mill GT. If you want to truly copy the Cobra, do the math and add up the cost of all of the other goodies and enhancements it’s got over a GT and you’ll see it can’t be done for a lesser price. The Snake is a bargain in comparison, any way you slice it!

I will not argue with what you say if I were buying brand new. cobra>gt he just already has the gt.

buying new now that the corbra is supercharged and has the t-56 it is a no brainer. but since he has the gt has has to deal with the depriciation there and then in 06 when the new cobra hit his 03,04 will take another nose dive in value. If he does not care so be it. I am just doing some math and he has already lost his investment on the gt if he backs out. then buying another very new car means more loss. they are very similar cars. cobra would have a bit stronger tranny and independant rear. if that is worth 21k then it is worth 21k.

Ya know, if I had the 'Cammer' motor in my '98 GT 'Vert, I don't care what kind of 'depreciation' I had 'officially', I just know that I would have the baddest mofo 'stang on the street. That engine is one bad piece of work and having that sucker under my hood, Cobras would be desert, Vipers would be lunch, and Z06s would be an appetizer! Only thing to pry that one from my hands would be a new GT-500 Cobra and it had better have a ragtop! :banana: