04 Mach 1 vs. 05 GT?

2k3gt

Apr 20, 2003
York, ME
Sup 'Stangers.

Ok, heres my deal. I want to trade in my 02 GT auto for either an 04 Mach 1 or an 05 GT, but I don't know enough about either to be able to make a solid decision. What I do know, is that I want the 'potential' power upgrade so I can run with the LS1's, or at least have a chance. Maybe you fellas can help point me in the right direction.

I much prefer the Mach 1 bodystyle (interior and exterior), and how the M1 will hold its value better, since it's a limited production model. But does the shaker system interfere with my ability to go blown? Is the Mach 1 supposed to be more receptive to mods than the 05 SOHC? Would a N/A GT with similar bolt ons be able to run with a M1? About how long would I have to wait for some aftermarket parts for the 05?

I realize some of these questions can't be answered factually, but I appreciate any input you guys can give. :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm so sold on my Mach that I'm looking to buy another for my girl friend. Looks like my son will be taking over payment on my 02 GT. If anyone see's a Mach within 300 miles of Tulsa Oklahoma that is an auto, Torch Red, and has IUP let me know I'd drive for the right price.

As far as LS1's go, with the auto you have a chance at a short stop light race or a bad LS1 driver but it run 13.5-13.9 with a decent driver. That said it's a sweet street car if your not going to drag race it. :flag:

2K1GtfromSC said:
You can find used Cobra's with low miles for $27000

Sounds pretty tempting... I assume you're talking about an 03? In LA, its tough to find a decent car at a decent price, at least it has been so far.

Thanks for all the input guys, you just helped me confirm what I thought in the first place :flag: .

Ryan L said:
It's hard to debate on a car that's not even out yet. :rolleyes:

Exactly, we can’t say mach is faster, or make any decision until the 05 is out. Ford may have underestimated the horsepower as they did on the 03/04 cobras. They 05 could be as fast or faster than the mach. Too many rumors and speculation going around for a car people have only read about.

I do agree that the mach will be worth more in the future but how long do you plan on keeping a car? The fox also has the aftermarket that is cheap for it and will only get cheaper. The 05+ Stangs will get the aftermarket but it will take a while and be more expensive at first.

We can speculate about performance, chassis, brakes, handling, interior, etc. But until it’s out, it’s just that, speculation. I speculate that the chassis, brakes, and interior will be much better than the current car but I don’t know for sure until I get behind the wheel. As far as the looks go some pictures look great like the grey one with the stripes and others don’t look so hot. Id own this one in a heartbeat though.
CDSilverMustangGT.jpg

People hate change and love the fox platform. You will get many opinions based on strong emotions because people want to feel that their current car is superior to the new one. People are also antsy because of the coming drop in values for the pre 05 cars that always comes with a body style change. Its really up to you and your personal opinion. No one can make a fair comparison until they are behind the wheel of a production model. I also wouldn’t buy a mach until the 05’s are released as they, like all pre 05’s, will take a nosedive in resale.

2K1GtfromSC said:
You can find used Cobra's with low miles for $27000

Yes I suspect that when the 05's come out we will drop even more. Makes me nervous with my cobra. No biggie though as I hope to keep it for a long time. If it came down to 05 or an 03/04 cobra there would be no choice at all for me. The 03/04 is such a great car and loves mods and I imagine they will drop to the low 20's when the 05 comes out. There was already a silver 03 cobra with 23,000 mile that went for $25,000 on ebay. That may be something to think about for 2k3gt.

I traded my 02 GT for my 03 Mach last October and at the time I didn't even consider the new 05 GT. I like it but I'm waiting for the Cobra/Shelby/Special Edition to come out for the new cars. I like the new look of GT, who can argue with an all new chassis and SOHC 3v? Pretty much everything is new from the ground up, but I'm sure there'll be some unknown bugs and headaches with the new car while with the Mach 1, I new exactly what I was getting from the start. :nice:

A couple things about the 05' I dislike is that the 18" wheel option will not be available until mid-late production for the year, and also all the hype about the engine.

The New F150 went from 260hp to 300hp and you can't even tell the difference. I know that they are two completely different situations, but I am just not sold on this engine being the next best thing.

My vote would be a Mach 1, because of its limited production, underrated HP/TQ and Aluminum 32V.