04 Stang vs 06 wrx

used2behondaguy

May 12, 2006
Yes i know another race Q but anyways my friend just recieved his 06 wrx but can't drive worth a **** and i have a stock 04 gt with 1100 miles on it ! he wants to have a go at it and i'am a fairly good driver ! He want to race from a dead stop to 90 m/h and both cars are manual ! What is your take on the outcome? If i do decide to race!:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

well, obviously this will be done at a track :nice: so run it up to 100mph, which is close to most stock Mustangs' trap speed. If he dumps the clutch from high rpm's, he'll jump out ahead, but you should easily reel him in. The only reason a bone stock WRX is a 14sec. car at all is because of their AWD launches. Don't worry

WRX's are good off the launch, if the driver can drive. Aside from that I wouldnt worry too much.

If its an STi though, they are a good bit quicker and usually have better ET's than stock GT's.

BurningRubber said:
WRX's are good off the launch, if the driver can drive. Aside from that I wouldnt worry too much.

If its an STi though, they are a good bit quicker and usually have better ET's than stock GT's.
Yea, an STi would kick your ass if you're stock

Coming from someone how actually drives a Suby car.
The 06 WRX's are somewhat faster than the pre-06's car.
The 06 WRX's put down 250-255 whp on a dyno and a low 14's
are possible in stock form.IF he has a turbo upgrade like a 16g or 18g,
cylinder head work,full exhaust and new maps stage 2 don't race
him or you could be the laugh of the night.I think if you can beat low
14's go for it and race at the track I hope.

Pennywise2 said:
Coming from someone how actually drives a Suby car.
The 06 WRX's are somewhat faster than the pre-06's car.
The 06 WRX's put down 250-255 whp on a dyno and a low 14's
are possible in stock form.IF he has a turbo upgrade like a 16g or 18g,
cylinder head work,full exhaust and new maps stage 2 don't race
him or you could be the laugh of the night.I think if you can beat low
14's go for it and race at the track I hope.
Did you just say a stock 06 WRX sedan puts down 250-255whp? The car has a 2.5L engine making 230hp at the crank. Hows that possible? If it had 255whp along with its AWD, i freaking get one myself :nice:

HoustonGT said:
Did you just say a stock 06 WRX sedan puts down 250-255whp? The car has a 2.5L engine making 230hp at the crank. Hows that possible? If it had 255whp along with its AWD, i freaking get one myself :nice:
Actually the WRX's and STI's are highly underrated by everyone.
Most guys on the suby forums who have 06 WRX's are saying the
new set up "stock" will put down 250-255 whp and the new 2.5L
flat four engine is giving them an easy 30+ whp plus faster spool time.
The STI's really will put down 270-280 whp stock because they really take
advantage of the extra cubes of the new 2.5L engine.Houston GT the
new WRX's are very nice cars and are pretty fast stock.The Suby cars
you should seriously consider they are worth it if you got the bucks.Also
the WRX's and STI's responder better to mods than mustangs.I am thinking
about trading in my 04 WRX for a 06 STI but, I am not sure because I haven't
decided what I want to do with my mustang?

Pennywise2 said:
I disagree big time.
dont get me wrong, im not dissing them at all. ive done a lot of reading about WRXs/STi's. i was thinking about buying one for a while, plus my mom drives one. im sure the turbo loves the extra .5 displacement, but from what ive seen, mods are still not as effective as larger displacement cars. manifolds are pretty useless on them. i think an up-pipe/down-pipe is probably comparable to an o/r mid pipe plus plenum/TB, right? one of the biggest reasons i didnt get a Subie was the price of parts. so damn expensive. $1500 will barely get you an A/P, up/down pipe. all that is good for, what, like 35 awhp? weak.

02LaserRed2V said:
There are a few modded sti's that frequent the local track and NONE of them rape from off the line. In fact, one of them (claims he makes 310awhp) even refused to line up against me.
I don't blame him since you have a KB and a six speed transmission. :D
If he was making 310 whp than he probably only had bolton's.If he
had a huge turbo upgrade and tune I bet that guy would race you for
sure.All the races at the track I have ever seen AWD vs. RWD the
person in the RWD car will get owned off the line period.

Pennywise2 said:
I don't blame him since you have a KB and a six speed transmission. :D
If he was making 310 whp than he probably only had bolton's.If he
had a huge turbo upgrade and tune I bet that guy would race you for
sure.All the races at the track I have ever seen AWD vs. RWD the
person in the RWD car will get owned off the period.
wow, how often do you visit the track? a rwd car with traction (DR's) is capable of 1.8 60's, which is the pretty decent for an AWD car. its not even a big deal for a RWD car on slicks to run consistent 1.6's. a feat that you would be hard pressed to find in an AWD.