05 5spd Automatic

Jeffspeed24

Dec 22, 2003
hey ppl,
last month i started a thread like this and it went out of subject.
but since there using the same blueprint transmission thats in the ?explorers? which some mechanic in here called a POS with lots of problems, do you think they will upgrade the internals and beef it up.

• Sponsors (?)

Jeffspeed24 said:
hey ppl,
last month i started a thread like this and it went out of subject.
but since there using the same blueprint transmission thats in the ?explorers? which some mechanic in here called a POS with lots of problems, do you think they will upgrade the internals and beef it up.

yeah, that got way OT. Hopefully this will stay on topic. From what I've heard none of the auto trannies have been very solid in the Mustangs, so I doubt this will be better with more parts and electronics. I'll probably buy a 5 speed for that reason. Meanwhile my 727 AT in my Satellite is still going strong without a rebuild after almost 40 years.

well if it is the 'SUV' trans it should hold up better in a Mustang (even with more HP than a truck) if for no other reason than the Mustang weighs a lot less than a SUV...and draggin' around a bunch of wieght is a really tranny killer....

Ford wouldn't have put the 5-speed auto in if it couldn't take the abuse. The 4-speed was handling it just fine, and the move to a 5-speed was as much for fuel economy as it was that they had a mass-produced tranny that could take the abuse and give more flexability to the Mustang. Too bad GM is still stuck on using a 4-speed auto for the Vette...

awalbert88 said:
Ford wouldn't have put the 5-speed auto in if it couldn't take the abuse. The 4-speed was handling it just fine, and the move to a 5-speed was as much for fuel economy as it was that they had a mass-produced tranny that could take the abuse and give more flexability to the Mustang. Too bad GM is still stuck on using a 4-speed auto for the Vette...

The 5 speed should help with fuel economy, I hope it also closes the gap in Performance with the 5 speed manual.

on a side note about the Vette, GM has new RWD 6 speed automatics that can handle a lot of torque coming out soon, but I guess it wasn't ready in time for the 2005 Vette. That same 6 spd. trans is also what is holding back the V12 Escalade from coming out.

Z28x said:
The 5 speed should help with fuel economy, I hope it also closes the gap in Performance with the 5 speed manual.

on a side note about the Vette, GM has new RWD 6 speed automatics that can handle a lot of torque coming out soon, but I guess it wasn't ready in time for the 2005 Vette. That same 6 spd. trans is also what is holding back the V12 Escalade from coming out.

The 5 Speed Auto should significantly improve the performance of the 2005 Mustang, both V8 & V6. The big deal with the 5 speed auto is that the ratio spread between 1st and 5th is greater than 1st to 4th on the 4 speed.

Specifially, 1st gear on the 5R55S is 3.23:1. 1st gear on the 4R70 is 2.84:1.
This means that by putting the 5R55S into the Mustang it is going to perform off the line like it has a 3.76 rear end in it, so you can expect a big jump in Mustang automatic performance and just how fast it feels off the line.

Ford also has 6 speed automatics coming in both FWD and RWD versions. I don't know if the 6 speed will be used in the Mustang. I don't have the link handy, but if you go to media.ford.com and start searching you will be able to find info on both the 5 speed and 6 speed automatics.

well im waiting 2 years anyway for the bugs to clear and to see if autos can take heavy modding abuse, if not than ill get a manual. or maybe ford racing will sell an bullitproof automatic transmission. i just dont like driving a manual here in nashville. even for a weekend car

Well when I get my mustang eventually, it won't be a auto, I'll leave it as a manual. Ford's auto's just seem like they don't hold up to well. I know that 6 speed, I heard a few years ago, GM and Ford had a joint venture going on for designing a 6 speed automatic, and when it was done, both companies could use it in their cars. Hopefully that one will be good.

awalbert88 said:

Have the Ford auto trannies gotten better in recent years? Cause when I was looking into getting a used 5.0, I got the impression I should stear clear of them.

Most Ford Mustang automatic transmissions suck. I would NEVER get a Mustang with an automatic. I ONLY buy the 5 speed manual transmission because the manual trannies have less problems with them. Plus, they tend to have better response with torque than the automatics do. The automatics have many issues. Just look at all the posts in here with Mustang owners who have the automatic Tremec transmission on their 2001-2004 Mustang GT's. This is enought reason to not own a Mustang with an automatic transmission.

GM Dude said:
Well when I get my mustang eventually, it won't be a auto, I'll leave it as a manual. Ford's auto's just seem like they don't hold up to well. I know that 6 speed, I heard a few years ago, GM and Ford had a joint venture going on for designing a 6 speed automatic, and when it was done, both companies could use it in their cars. Hopefully that one will be good.

That is a FWD 6 speed auto that Ford and GM are building together.

63_Fairlane said:
It's the 5 speed auto from the Lincoln LS not the Explorer.

Same tranny, they are both 5r55 trannys. This tranny is a pos. I am the tech that said so before. This trans was not built for strength. This is basically a redesigned A4LD, which is the same trans they used to put in 4 cyl foxbodies and bronco II's. I get to work on these all the time. They have not dipstick tube which is a problem. Plus they are completely controlled electronicly. They are junk.

Majority of the explorers have torque converter problems, because the converter is just too small, most engine and trannys mount the converter to the flexplate, not this one when behind the 4.6 . It uses a plate between the converter and the flexplate. People might have had problems with the old AODE/4R70W, but it was and is a much stronger built trans than this thing. I will admit performance should be good with the 5spd until they blow. Main problem with the old AODE was OD band burning up, well this 5spd uses bands for 2nd gear, 3rd gear and 5th gear. I have already fixed several in explorers with band failures. Not good guys sorry. Not a lincoln dealer, so I don't see any LS's.

94SLOWBRA said:
Same tranny, they are both 5r55 trannys. This tranny is a pos. I am the tech that said so before. This trans was not built for strength. This is basically a redesigned A4LD, which is the same trans they used to put in 4 cyl foxbodies and bronco II's. I get to work on these all the time. They have not dipstick tube which is a problem. Plus they are completely controlled electronicly. They are junk.

Majority of the explorers have torque converter problems, because the converter is just too small, most engine and trannys mount the converter to the flexplate, not this one when behind the 4.6 . It uses a plate between the converter and the flexplate. People might have had problems with the old AODE/4R70W, but it was and is a much stronger built trans than this thing. I will admit performance should be good with the 5spd until they blow. Main problem with the old AODE was OD band burning up, well this 5spd uses bands for 2nd gear, 3rd gear and 5th gear. I have already fixed several in explorers with band failures. Not good guys sorry. Not a lincoln dealer, so I don't see any LS's.

Bummer. :(

There is a big differnce in using the 5R55 in an Explorer vs. a Mustang. An empty Explorer weighs 1.000 lb more than an empty Mustang. A fully loaded Explorer probably weights 4,000 lb more than a fully loaded Mustang. That's an aweful lot of extra stress on the trannie.

I familiar with the LS. I know of some trannie failures, but the # of failures does not seem unusually high.

But with that said, I have it on very good authority, that the MAXIMUM torque you would ever want to put into a 5R55 is 350 lb. ft.

351CJ said:
There is a big differnce in using the 5R55 in an Explorer vs. a Mustang. An empty Explorer weighs 1.000 lb more than an empty Mustang. A fully loaded Explorer probably weights 4,000 lb more than a fully loaded Mustang. That's an aweful lot of extra stress on the trannie.

I familiar with the LS. I know of some trannie failures, but the # of failures does not seem unusually high.

But with that said, I have it on very good authority, that the MAXIMUM torque you would ever want to put into a 5R55 is 350 lb. ft.

While I would agree with you about the weight being less, which should help durability a little, I doubt many explorers are driven as hard as alot of people are gonna be driving these new stangs. Plus alot of the problems I deal with are not durability related, they have many valvebody, solenoid body problems also. We reprogram the PCM's in these damn explorers all the time, I swear ford has come out with atleast 15-20 updates for the PCM since these things came out in 2001. From talking to ford engineers I have learned about problems with solenoids sticking, causing shifting problems, and fords solution is reprogram PCM for less apply time on the solenoid. :rolleyes:
Half the time we spend on the tech hotline talking to engineers, and they don't even know whats wrong with these things or how to fix them. SO, you could say my opinion of this tranny is not very good. Funny part to me is Ford just upgraded they old 4R70W in the 04 F150's. I believe they are called a 4R75W now. Not sure on all the changes, but I know they changed the torque converter some, possibly to deal with the TCC shudder problems those things have had forever. Besides the increased gear ratio, I also really believe the 5R55 might have been used for weight savings too, deff lighter than the 4R70W.