05 GT as autocross/HPDE vehicle?

2002fordf150

Jul 20, 2005
I want a Shelby Cobra really, really bad ... just like everyone else. However, the dealer says they are only going to get 3, and no list yet. Two employees want one & I want one, which means it will be really hard to get one anywhere. My question is would an 2005/2006 Must GT be a good choice for autocross/HPDE or is another year mustang a better candidate? I am afraid that I'll have to do a lot of mods to a 2005/2006 to get it close to SVT Cobra or Shelby Cobra catagory. I thought an '04 SVT Cobra would do as a compromise, but I like the '05 styling, etc. It also has to be my daily driver. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Does any one know if a SVT Cobra like version is coming soon. Yes, I'll have cheese with my whine!

• Sponsors (?)

It would be fine as an HPDE car, and fine for autocross (although if you were really serious, a lighter car would be better).

Keep in mind that for a daily driver, autocrossing it might not be what you really want to do -- that'll turn it into a rattletrap faster than anything else will. HPDE is not nearly as hard on the car, but make sure your insurance will cover you on the track (some do, some don't). It would suck to ball up your daily driver and then have to make payments on the scrap metal for a few years.

You might consider a second (or third, or fourth, whatever fits) car just for HPDE/autocross. I'm thinking about dedicating my '95 Mustang for track duty, so that I can skip the wear and tear on my daily driver.

Dave

Dave you have a great point. I am new at all this, the first HDPE auto cross event I went as a spectator. The group I was with spun out a '04 Cobra w/4m miles on it and messed up the front facia and tweeked the front end at Willow Spgs CA. I have heard about the insurance issue too. My friend has a new '05 C6 Vette, w/z51 pkg and we used it for autocrossing at the big bear bash in CA. That was fun and gave me the bug real bad. But I want a Mustang. I had a 1968 for 13 yrs and had to give it up,what a fool I was. Any other words of wisdom Dave or anyone else?

Hey 2003GT, you say you are making your GT an autocross car. Is that a 2005/2006 or what yr? What are you planning on doing to it? I appreciate the feed back. I have my 5.4L, 2002 F150, FX4X4, not good for racing, a 1987 Honda CRX w/220,000 miles on it, not ideal either. I want a new Mustang that is quick like the C6 Vette and something I can race ocassionally. I need to find a blend of something, or just a fun car to use for the ocassional racing and fun on the street. Ouch, my brain hurts!

The '05 GT is an amazing autocross car. I've been to six events so far and even in stock trim it performs extremely well. Here are a few pics and some links to the results at some North Dakota SCCA events. Yes, that's the 05 sitting at the top of the list!

Fargo results
Grand Forks results

_6122821_copy_s.jpg

_7124801_copy_sp.jpg

_7124802_copy_sp.jpg