1/2 Dead Stang

sandman0023

Aug 21, 2004
Chicago
89 GT, mods in sig. I believe there is a wiring problem between the ignition and the starter. However, since it is a manual it will start by push starting it. When I turn the key the solenoid will click, but the starter won't engage. At first I thought it was a battery and/or altenator problem because it started but the battery seemed to not be charging. I switched batteries to attempt to test the alt., but now the damn thing won't start with the key. :bang: Is the solenoid bad or is there another relay that may have gone bad? :shrug:

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

try jumping the relay on your fender with a screw driver. please remove the clutch saftey wire the small one in the middle and also put car in nuetral e brake on. then jump termanials. if it fires up then that relay is shot.

yes we tried a new battery and the same thing keeps happening. it almost seems that the starter isn't engaging properly, since the solenoid clicks each time i hit the key. I don't think that the solenoid is the problem, its got to be a problem between the solenoid and the starter. it still doesn't make sense as to why it wont engage the starter.:shrug: maybe I haven't got a wire connected to the solenoid correctly?

If you think it's the starter, you can try whacking it with a hammer (lightly) to see if it starts.

I still would want to be sure there is sufficient amperage available (using a jumper battery and your battery, or a charger with a dead-battery starting mode) just to be sure.

FWIW, when you jump the two big lugs on the solenoid, it's all about battery current and cables and the starter - all other systems are removed.

I have added a jumper cable in paralle with an existing cable to see if it helps - if it does, you found a bad cable. Also make sure the motor grounding is up to par (A jumper cable can test this real quick).

Random thoughts. Good luck.

It simply requires testing at your end at this point - no one can narrow it down any further for you without making guesses.

How did the cable look? Were you able to use another battery as a jumper?

For the key issue, see if you have 12 volts to the S-terminal on the solenoid (the little slide-on terminal at the top of the solenoid) when you crank the car. If you have 12 volts there, the ignition switch, etc should be working.

Good luck.

Here's a checklist:

Since some of the tests will bypass the safety interlocks, make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Becoming a pancake isn’t part of the repair process…

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.
See http://www.fluke.com/application_notes/automotive/circuit.asp?AGID=1&SID=103 for help
fig-7.gif

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

4.) Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

5.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then you have wiring problems. See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars .OR see http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars. See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-95 model cars.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) If that doesn't work, use a jumper cable from the positive lead on the battery direct to the starter post where the big wire from the relay connects. If it cranks then, it is the power wire from the relay gone bad. This will be hard to do, since there isn't much room to do it.

8.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.