1/4 times for stock auto

• Sponsors (?)

I thought my car seemed to pull harder than a 5 speed in first. Another thing that helped was that they just sprayed the start area with a sticky compound and the ca launched much harder than it usually did. Another question i had was at what rpm do 99+ gt's make th most hp and tq because on the 13.8 run i shifted from 1st to 2nd at about 4500. Is it possible that helped my time because the rpms didnt drop as much when i shifted?

Best shifts should be around 5300-5500RPM.I cant believe you turned those times.BUT I do remember reading something by jacky chan that said he gained 2-3MPH by pulling the head light, so maybe thats why your MPH was so good???That still was a perfect run to get that time and MPH.Good job.BTW my 5spd ran 14.4s at 96.5 with ram air and K&N, but it was like 80* outside and pretty humid if I remember correctly, with FULL weight and 1/2-3/4 tank of gas.Oh yea did you take out the spare tire or anything else when you ran, cuz that helps too, what about gas in the tank?

Damn, I only ran a [email protected] stock with a Magnapack on Khumo Ecsta 712's. On street tires do you guys do a pretty hefty burnout or just go? I know with drag radials you do about a 7-10 second burnout but what about the khumos because I can't seem to get better than a 2.4 60 ft no matter what I try.

I also ran a best of 14.1 in the quarter with eibach springs, 10.5 inch rear rims, Superchip, Intake plentum, TB, Intake C & L pipe, K & N Filter, and Bassani Exhaust Catback and X pipe w/cats. That is tight if it is true! I would say the person before you did something that you wouldn't know like maybe injectors or ignition, something to boost your time that Much!

RageStangX said:
How the fook does an aode launch harder then a 3650....

first gear ratios:

manual: 3.38
auto 2.84

both have same rear size and the auto weighs more

i really dont understand that either but i kno a kid at my school with a '00 gt vert n it doesnt seem like it pulls as hard as mine in first but 2nd and 3rd gear seem to pull much harder than my car does. who knows though cause its different when your driving and riding shotgun

joshheat25 said:
I would say the person before you did something that you wouldn't know like maybe injectors or ignition, something to boost your time that Much!

Injectors will not add any power...and the ignition would be a minimum gain on a stock engine...

mustangl3 - Okay now :D ...we went from "bone stock" to removed the headlight, removed air silencer w/ K&N, no spare, no jack, 1/4 tank of gas...how did you "forget" those :) Now your times make sense...

Oh and I don't believe in factory freaks...

A 5spd can launch harder than a auto if both are driven to their full potential off the showroom...

maybe the previous owner modded the trans and it has worn in and is not that noticable, anyway, great times !! When my chip was installed and the 410's as well as the shift points changed and pressure added, it shifted hard, about 600 miles ago, now I don't notice the shifting being any different than stock, I know I've gotten used to it, but that may be the case with you. Built autos rule !!

Yea, i think the tranny still hs the stock settings because it doesnt shift harder than other cars i've driven.

When im at the track im glad i have an auto cause its easier to launch and more consistent, but other than that theres a lot of times i wish i went for the 5 speed. Is it bad if i manually shift up on a regular basis and sometimes shift down into scond from third when i'm below 30mph?

downshifting in an auto is bad, I messed up my 91 mustang doing that, but under 30 I wouldn't think it would hurt anything. I know what you mean about wanting the 5 speed sometimes, a high stall converter makes the car less fun to drive on the street as well, just go and read on the 03 cobra forums, the kb and turbos run much better with autos, so eventually when you put your 14 lb kb on your forged engine you will be one step ahead of the game.

I REALLY doubt your auto trans has been messed with...very rare to find just that "messed" with...

These are the reasons why you got the times you did...removed the headlight, removed air silencer w/ K&N, no spare, no jack, 1/4 tank of gas, and catback...

Good run. Next mods do these. These are the most noticable changes you can do cheap. Big changes for my car.
J mod - .2 40.00,
Gears - .3 440.00 installed
Midpipe used-.2 75.00
= low 13's? for 555.00! Add slicks and a few tweeks and high 12s? For sure low 13.

Jmod is at tccoa.com. Tech Section/ Trans 101 article It addresses allot of questions. It is not bad to down shift our trans. The only thing you do not want to do i believe is to Fugg with the OD button while running along alot. I have had it for 34000 miles and luv it still. 15ft of rubber seond gear shifts at WOT and a firm quick 3rd but shifts easy under 2600. Perfect!

LOL, mine layed 190Ft in second gear last time I went from a stand.Reved 3K in first, then hit second and bingo.Only got about 8ft in first before I had to shift LOL. BTW did you realize how old this thread was? I remember this tread and I couldnt believe he ran those times...untill I seen his other mods LOL.

Arnolds97 said:
Good run. Next mods do these. These are the most noticable changes you can do cheap. Big changes for my car.
J mod - .2 40.00,
Gears - .3 440.00 installed
Midpipe used-.2 75.00
= low 13's? for 555.00! Add slicks and a few tweeks and high 12s? For sure low 13.
QUOTE]lol, i dont think so. low 13s are very hard to hit. im suspicious enough as it is as to how he hit a 13.8 w/ a catback and an auto tranny that saps power.

americanjesus said:
I have a auto 98 gt. I have flowmaster american thunder cat back. Mac catted H pipe and a K&n filter. haven't took it to the track yet any though on what my 1/4 time would be with good street tires
my sis has an auto 98 GT w/ a PI Intake and K&N. her best is a 14.8@90ish w/ a 2.1 60' i think. you should run a little higher, maybe around a 15.0ish