#1 fuse keeps popping. I think I know the cause, but could use some advice.

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
Here's what I've been able to figure out so far. First off, this is an AODE 'Stang. Was driving into work on Thursday when I noticed my turn signals weren't working. My airbag light was on, but dim. Not like when there's a code in the airbag computer, something like half lit. I searched the forum and found <a href="http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=539094">this thread</a>, which suggested checking the #1 fuse under the dash. Sure enough, the fuse was popped. I replaced it, and voila! My turn signals were back, and the airbag light was out. All done, or so I thought.

Next day, the fuse was popped again. Replaced it, popped yet again. So much for the vain hope I had a bad fuse or two. It seemed to pop overnight, because It would be fine while driving. Park, get back in the car, and the fuse was popped. Well, last night I finally saw/heard the fuse pop three times.

First time was pulling into my parking space. It's in a weird spot, so I have to back into it. So I pulled forward, then put the car into reverse. I saw the voltage guage drop for a second or two, then I saw the airbag light on dim. You guessed it, no turn signals.

Next was later that night. Swapped out the fuse again. This time it popped as soon as I put the 'Stang in gear. I heard a pop, and got the dim airbag light once more. Same thing happened one more time last night, though it didn't happen every time I shifted. This being an AODE, I only need to shift when backing up or parking (of course).

When the fuse is in and not popped, my turn signals work perfectly. The bulbs all work and they're blinking at their normal pace. If my guess is correct, the turn signals themselves are fine, they're just sharing the same fuse as the problem circuit.

According to what's protected by the #1 fuse, and what I do when the fuse pops, I'd say either the Shift Lock Actuator, the Transmission Control Switch or the Backup Lamp Switch. My backup lights still work even with the fuse popped, so I don't think that's it. And the tranny's shifting like it always does, irregardless of the fuse popped or not. So, the Shift Lock Actuator looks to be my problem. I haven't had a chance to get under the dash to see if the wire is pinched or something easy like that, but I'll be checking tonight.

I'm posting to see if anyone else has any ideas, or anything I should check when I'm under the dash tonight. Any advice? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)