10 holes aka phone dials.......

93 LX

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2000
Norwalk, CA.
I heard that there are 2 versions of this wheel. One version for pre 87 cars and post 87. I have an 86 with these on it and I want to upgade the front brakes to the post 87 11" rotor brakes. Will I have to get these later rims to clear the later style brake rotors.

• Sponsors (?)

That is the first time I've ever head that there are two different versions. I doubt its true, but check your sources, I'd like to know more about that.

The brakes on the '86 are the same as the 4-cyl brakes on '87 and later cars, so I can't see why there would be an issue. Parts on these cars are pretty easily interchangeable.

I heard about this I believe there are couple of different part numbers on these rims, one or two versions have a Mustang part number and the other has a Tbird number. I think that the older Tbird wheel wont fit the newer brakes. I'm not a 100% sure about all this info its been a while since I read about this, its one of those weird things Ford does.

There are in fact 2 different versions....but i don't know if the difference extends beyond cosmetics. I don't remember which is which (old vs. new versions) but there are ones with smooth surface on the inside of the holes and the outter groove, and there's some that are rough cast surface inside the holes and the groove. I've heard people say the cheaper cast versions came on 4 bangers and the smooth versions came on 5.0s, but i think it's just a tooling change or something.

That's really strange. They used those wheels on 5.0 LXs and SSP cars through all those years, never would have thought they'd make a design change. I can see the Thunderchicken versions being different though, didn't the T-bird also get a '93 Cobra look-alike wheel?

When I was younger I hit a pothole and bent one of my phone dials. I blindly went to a junk yard, pulled one off a wrecked car, cleaned it up and bolted it on. I couldn't even tell you what year that car was, and the wheel I yanked off of it was the last wheel on the car. Now you can't tell which one of the four I found in the 'yard.

I guess I got lucky? :shrug:

To the OP: Do the brake swap and test fit the wheels. If they don't fit, which I reeeeealy doubt they won't, you can always find 10 hole wheels for really cheap. People practically give those away. I paid 10$ for mine, haha.

There are in fact 2 different versions....but i don't know if the difference extends beyond cosmetics. I don't remember which is which (old vs. new versions) but there are ones with smooth surface on the inside of the holes and the outter groove, and there's some that are rough cast surface inside the holes and the groove. I've heard people say the cheaper cast versions came on 4 bangers and the smooth versions came on 5.0s, but i think it's just a tooling change or something.
I have both versions in my garage. The differences are just as you described. It's just a cosmetic change. The rough finish in the holes and the groove is on the earlier wheels. I believe they made the change around 1989 or 1990.

The "cheaper 4-banger wheels" is a bunch of :bs:. The subtle differences aside, 10-holes are 10-holes.

Since I am restoring the 86 LX Vert i was debating whether or not to change rims or to keep the 10 holes..... If i keep them I will strip them have them cleaned and restored to original finish. To keep them nice and easy to clean I would have them powder coated clear.

I have both versions in my garage. The differences are just as you described. It's just a cosmetic change. The rough finish in the holes and the groove is on the earlier wheels. I believe they made the change around 1989 or 1990.

The "cheaper 4-banger wheels" is a bunch of :bs:. The subtle differences aside, 10-holes are 10-holes.

That must be why I got lucky pulling my wheel from a junk yard... Must have been a pre-'89 car.

Since I am restoring the 86 LX Vert i was debating whether or not to change rims or to keep the 10 holes..... If i keep them I will strip them have them cleaned and restored to original finish. To keep them nice and easy to clean I would have them powder coated clear.

I've read that you are not supposed to powder coat aluminum wheels because the baking process is hot enough to weaken the aluminum's molecular structure. How much effect, I can't say, (the reading I did was more focused on lightweight road racing wheels) but it would be worth researching before you toss them in an oven.

That must be why I got lucky pulling my wheel from a junk yard... Must have been a pre-'89 car.

I've read that you are not supposed to powder coat aluminum wheels because the baking process is hot enough to weaken the aluminum's molecular structure. How much effect, I can't say, (the reading I did was more focused on lightweight road racing wheels) but it would be worth researching before you toss them in an oven.
I'm gonna toss the ol' :bs: flag on that one too. There are aluminum parts on cars that see a lot more heat than the 350* needed to cure powder coat -- blocks, heads, etc.. And that heating is not as gradual and even as being put in an oven.

I'm gonna toss the ol' :bs: flag on that one too. There are aluminum parts on cars that see a lot more heat than the 350* needed to cure powder coat -- blocks, heads, etc.. And that heating is not as gradual and even as being put in an oven.

You have to consider the broad range of aluminum alloys and heat treatments before you can make a blanket statement like that. Sure, cylinder heads are going to see a considerable amount of heat, but are they really made from the same aluminum alloy and manufactured using the same processes as a cast wheel? Different alloys require different heat treatments and react differently under different conditions, so even though your logic makes sense at a glance, I still personally would research it before I cooked my wheels. I know a lot of people who have succesfully powdercoated wheels (I see you have), but thats just me.

Google "powder coat aluminum" and these are the first two results:

Powder Coating Clinic - Powder Coating Aluminum Alloy - 11/04

Powder Coating Clinic - Powder Coating Aluminum - 03/06